Are there any EBT suttas not found in the paali collection?

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
thomaslaw

Re: Are there any EBT suttas not found in the paali collection?

Post by thomaslaw »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:42 am ...
I think he simply forgot to cite it properly in the other text. People make mistakes. I'm glad I managed to find a citation of alteration from him. It had always bothered me that the alteration was not cited in the original text discussed.
I do not think he 'simply forgot'. I think his notes 11 (for Yinshun CSA ii p. 35) and 14 (for the Sanskrit text), and the citation for SA 296 in page 153, are very clear for the argument. You just need to follow and read Yinshun CSA ii p. 35 for SA 296, and the Sanskrit text, not just T2 p. 84. :jumping:
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

thomaslaw wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:09 pm
I think he simply forgot to cite it properly in the other text. People make mistakes. I'm glad I managed to find a citation of alteration from him. It had always bothered me that the alteration was not cited in the original text discussed.
I do not think he 'simply forgot'. I think his notes 11 (for Yinshun CSA ii p. 35) and 14 (for the Sanskrit text), and the citation for SA 296 in page 153, are very clear for the argument. You just need to follow and read Yinshun CSA ii p. 35 for SA 296, and the Sanskrit text, not just T2 p. 84. :jumping:
I actually have. I even provided the correct citation from Choong in another text. I even gave you the correct citation from the CSA itself, the text is freely available online, which is the citation he gives in Annotated Translations. It is not the citation he gives in Fundamentals.

It falls to you to actually demonstrate that you know what you are talking about at all. Your contributions will stand on their own, if you are capable of giving any.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:48 am
I actually have. I even provided the correct citation from Choong in another text. I even gave you the correct citation from the CSA itself, the text is freely available online, which is the citation he gives in Annotated Translations. It is not the citation he gives in Fundamentals.

It falls to you to actually demonstrate that you know what you are talking about at all. Your contributions will stand on their own, if you are capable of giving any.
I have told you more than two times to check and read the CSA for the Chinese text :twothumbsup:
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

thomaslaw wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:20 am

I have told you more than two times to check and read the CSA for the Chinese text :twothumbsup:
And I did. How do you think I found that footnote? Did I make it up?

Here it is again:

註【13-002】「定」,原本誤作「空」,今依『論』改。

At this point I think you haven't read the CSA. Please contribute meaningful input. You don't need to tell me to read things I've read.
What is the Uncreated?
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:22 am

Here it is again:

At this point I think you haven't read the CSA. Please contribute meaningful input. You don't need to tell me to read things I've read.
Finally you checked and read the CSA. Good on you! :quote:
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

thomaslaw wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:27 am

Here it is again:

That's how I know you haven't read it. You are too misinformed to even contribute to this discussion in any way. I regret speaking to you. Hopefully others will see your display here and know that there is little point in interacting with you.

If you had read the CSA, if you know this footnote: "註【13-002】「定」,原本誤作「空」,今依『論』改。", then you also know that footenote 11 in Fundamentals is not citing this footnote. Therefore you have not informed yourself. You do not know what you are talking about.

Choong never cites this footnote in the entirety of Fundamentals. It seems uou incapable of grasping that notion. He cites it in other works of his, but not in Fundamentals.
What is the Uncreated?
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:29 am

Here it is again:

That's how I know you haven't read it. You are too misinformed to even contribute to this discussion in any way. I regret speaking to you. Hopefully others will see your display here and know that there is little point in interacting with you.

If you had read the CSA, if you know this footnote: "註【13-002】「定」,原本誤作「空」,今依『論』改。", then you also know that footenote 11 in Fundamentals is not citing this footnote. Therefore you have not informed yourself. You do not know what you are talking about.

Choong never cites this footnote in the entirety of Fundamentals. It seems uou incapable of grasping that notion. He cites it in other works of his, but not in Fundamentals.
You just need to check and read the CSA and the Sanskrit text for the Chinese text as I told you; got it! :jumping:
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

thomaslaw wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:35 am

You just need to check and read the CSA and the Sanskrit text for the Chinese text as I told you; got it! :jumping:
Please stop lying on public forums.
What is the Uncreated?
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:36 am

You do mean you are? :rolleye:
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

thomaslaw wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:39 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:36 am

You do mean you are? :rolleye:
Telling falsehoods, when indulged in, developed, & pursued, is something that leads to hell, leads to rebirth as a common animal, leads to the realm of the hungry shades. The slightest of all the results coming from telling falsehoods is that, when one becomes a human being, it leads to being falsely accused.

Please stop telling falsehoods about the CSA & Choong's Fundamentals.
What is the Uncreated?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

:offtopic:

OK... this footnote business and accusations of lying etc. is getting a bit too far removed from the topic at hand.

If there is actually anything meaningful and ToS-compliant in that space that needs to be said, please start a new topic.

:thanks:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."