Authenticity of Jātaka

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
dylanj

Authenticity of Jātaka

Post by dylanj »

What's your view? I understand that they are viewed by most scholars to have been heavily edited if not fabricated, but at the same time...
AN 7.68 wrote:“And how is a monk one with a sense of Dhamma? There is the case where a monk knows the Dhamma: dialogues, narratives of mixed prose and verse, explanations, verses, spontaneous exclamations, quotations, birth stories, amazing events, question & answer sessions"
...they are among the canonical categorizations of the Dhamma. This suggests we shouldn't simply ignore them.

So how should they be navigated to avoid any potential harm that might come from being exposed to pseudo-dhamma?
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
retrofuturist

Re: Authenticity of Jātaka

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
maranadhammomhi wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:12 am So how should they be navigated to avoid any potential harm that might come from being exposed to pseudo-dhamma?
Just understand their origins, understand their limitations, and if they help you remember authentic Dhamma teachings (as might be the case with the Dhammapada commentary stories, for example), then great.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

maranadhammomhi wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:12 am...they are among the canonical categorizations of the Dhamma. This suggests we shouldn't simply ignore them.
What exactly are 'jātakaṃ'?, possibly might be the 1st question. Given there are no stories of the Buddha having a previous life as a parrot or buffalo in the suttas, what exactly is a jātakaṃ (birth story)? While there is a mere handful of literal past life stories in the suttas (such as AN 3.15, AN 9.20, MN 50, MN 81, MN 83, MN 123 & DN 17), these suttas appear to have the style & language of the Buddhāpadāna & Apadāna, which are later texts, from the same period as the Jataka Tales. In addition, the content of these suttas seems to contradict the teaching found in SN 22.79, which states any recollection of 'past abodes' should be viewed as 'not-self' & mere aggregates, here: https://suttacentral.net/en/sn22.79 . Also, MN 123 (where young Buddha speaks "I am" at childbirth) contradicts MN 64 (which states a new born child cannot have any idea of self). I think MN 123 in particular shows how such suttas were probably later additions to the suttas & are not authentic. Therefore, returning to the original question, what possibly are birth stories for the Buddha? Possibly the following are examples:
The knowledge and vision arose in me: ‘Unshakable is the liberation of my mind. This is my last birth. Now there is no more renewed existence.’

SN 56.11
Then the bhikkhus of the group of five, thus taught and instructed by me, being themselves subject to birth, having understood the danger in what is subject to birth, seeking the unborn supreme security from bondage, Nibbāna, attained the unborn supreme security from bondage, Nibbāna; being themselves subject to ageing, sickness, death, sorrow, and defilement, having understood the danger in what is subject to ageing, sickness, death, sorrow, and defilement, seeking the unageing, unailing, deathless, sorrowless, and undefiled supreme security from bondage, Nibbāna, they attained the unageing, unailing, deathless, sorrowless, and undefiled supreme security from bondage, Nibbāna. The knowledge and vision arose in them: ‘Our deliverance is unshakeable; this is our last birth; there is no renewal of being.’

MN 26
Angulimala, go to that woman and on arrival say to her, 'Sister, since I was born I do not recall intentionally killing a living being. Through this truth may there be wellbeing for you, wellbeing for your fetus.'

But, lord, wouldn't that be a lie for me? For I have intentionally killed many living beings.

Then in that case, Angulimala, go to that woman and on arrival say to her, 'Sister, since I was born in the noble birth, I do not recall intentionally killing a living being. Through this truth may there be wellbeing for you, wellbeing for your fetus.'

MN 86
maranadhammomhi wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:12 amSo how should they be navigated to avoid any potential harm that might come from being exposed to pseudo-dhamma?
The Jataka Takes appear to be morality tales for children therefore possibly view them as such (unless you wish to believe the Buddha really once was a parrot that put out a forest fire to save the other animals). At least for me, the Jataka Tales perpetuate 'self-view'. For me, I use SN 22.79 to define the meaning of 'recollecting past abodes' (which is often translated as 'recollecting past lives').

There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
robertk

Post by robertk »

Very authentic and part of the Sutta pitaka.
Fortunately the equally authentic Commentary that gives so many details is also still available.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This forum believes in the reincarnation of past members with new identities.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

DooDoot wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:57 am While there is a mere handful of literal past life stories in the suttas (such as AN 3.15, AN 9.20, MN 50, MN 81, MN 83, MN 123 & DN 17)...
Bhikkhu Sujato comments on AN 3.15 here: The First Jataka?.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati