Āgama translation questions

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
sentinel

Re: Āgama translation questions

Post by sentinel »

Coëmgenu wrote:
<To the best of my knowledge, 无所为 is a specifically Chinese grammatical curiosity. 所 is a grammatical function in Chinese that is commonly used, but one that I can't get my head around as of yet. 无所为, to the best of my current knowledge, means "lack of lackingness (or "lack of lacker") of activities".>

Hi friends , 无为 in buddhism translations meaning
is the "uncondition", different from the Lao Zi 老子 !

无所为 if according to Lao Zi teachings meaning
is referring to " incubation ", a kind of wisdom of living.

此等諸法,法住、法空、法如、法爾,法不離如,法不異如,審諦真實、不顛倒。
These many dharmāḥ, [these] dharmāḥ['s] residence/dwellinng/abiding, [these] dharmāḥ['s] emptiness, [these] dharmāḥ self-explain/[are-]thus [i.e. They have quality of being self-evident?], [these] dharmāḥ [are] thus-so, [these] dharmāḥ [do] not depart [from their] thusness/self-evidency, [these] dharmāḥ [are] not different/other than [their] thusness/self-evidency, judged as truly real, not delusional (or "without delusion").

FYI 法空 is a typo , should be 法定 .
P/s:
You always gain by giving
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

James Tan wrote:FYI 法空 is a typo , should be 法定 .
P/s:
Is this a manuscript error? CBETA & SuttaCentral have it as 空, is the error in the digitization?
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Coëmgenu wrote:
James Tan wrote:FYI 法空 is a typo , should be 法定 .
P/s:
Is this a manuscript error? CBETA & SuttaCentral have it as 空, is the error in the digitization?
法定 is correct in SA 296. See Choong Mun-keat The Fundamental Teachings of Early Buddhism, pp. 152-3, notes 11 and 14. Also in the note 11 of the book, see CSA ii, p. 35.

Regards,

Thomas
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Coëmgenu wrote:I was looking through SA 296 when I came across an interesting line in the translation posted at SuttaCentral by Choong Mun-keat.
如是隨順緣起,是名緣生法。
謂無明、行、識、名色、六入處、觸、受、愛、取、有、生、老、病、死、憂、悲、惱、苦,是名緣生法。
Thus following obeisance [to] causes [of] arisings, this [is] named [the] development [of the] predestination [of the] dharmāḥ. That-is-to-say ignorance, capability, knowing, naming [and] forming, the six senses' touching, touching, receiving, lusting, taking, becoming, developing, aging, sickening, dying, worrying, grieving, [becoming-]angry, suffering, this [is] named [the] development [of the] predestination [of the] dharmāḥ.
緣生法 in SA 296 is translated as 'dharmas (phenomena) arisen by causal condition' by Choong Mun-keat in the book, The Fundamental Teachings of Early Buddhism, pp. 150, 154.

Regards,

Thomas
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

thomaslaw wrote:
Coëmgenu wrote:I was looking through SA 296 when I came across an interesting line in the translation posted at SuttaCentral by Choong Mun-keat.
如是隨順緣起,是名緣生法。
謂無明、行、識、名色、六入處、觸、受、愛、取、有、生、老、病、死、憂、悲、惱、苦,是名緣生法。
Thus following obeisance [to] causes [of] arisings, this [is] named [the] development [of the] predestination [of the] dharmāḥ. That-is-to-say ignorance, capability, knowing, naming [and] forming, the six senses' touching, touching, receiving, lusting, taking, becoming, developing, aging, sickening, dying, worrying, grieving, [becoming-]angry, suffering, this [is] named [the] development [of the] predestination [of the] dharmāḥ.
緣生法 in SA 296 is translated as 'dharmas (phenomena) arisen by causal condition' by Choong Mun-keat in the book, The Fundamental Teachings of Early Buddhism, pp. 150, 154.
Yes, indeed, but I was not quoting Choong Mun-keat in the passage that you quoted from, indeed, I did not write what you have be quoted as writing, but instead wrote:
“Whether a Buddha arises in the world, or not, this is the unchangeable nature of dharma, the status of dharma, the element of dharma.
I've been trying to track down Choong Mun-keat's book for a while though! I just found it in PDF form online. Thank you!

-Caoimhghín
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.