The Buddha Said...

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
bhante dhamma

The Buddha Said...

Post by bhante dhamma »

hi sometimes I read or hear some dhamma and sometimes.i'm either to lazy to find an exact location in the canon, or.maybe others can use this thread to veify what they hear/see on sosial media, like yesterdyay I watched a dhamma talk on the net in which it was said ...'the buddha.said anapanasati.is the crown jewel of mediattion,' which made.me.think if the Buddha had actually verbatim said that.

so I actually had a question....does.any one have a sutta.name.number for the pli words 'kalyanakari ca kalyanam papakari c papakam' ots.in the samyutta somwehere
Last edited by bhante dhamma on Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: The Buddha Said...

Post by DNS »

dvemebhikkhave wrote: so I actually had a question....does.any one have a sutta.name.number for the pli words 'kalyanakari ca kalyanam papakari c papakam' ots.in the samyutta somwehere
Samyutta Nikaya 10

Yadisam vapate bijam Tadisam labhate phalam
Kalyanakari kalyanam Papakari ca papakam

Which translates as:

As the seed, so the fruit.
Whoever does good, receives good,
Whoever does bad, receives bad.

No, I don't have the Tipitaka memorized (I wish); I just used google. :tongue:
bhante dhamma

Post by bhante dhamma »

samyutta 10..? mist be p.t.s numbering, still cant find the name.of the samyutta or sutta, got a.other one...

sutta name for the quote The Buddha Said his teaching is 'not a close fisted doctrine'
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

dvemebhikkhave wrote: sutta name for the quote The Buddha Said his teaching is 'not a close fisted doctrine'
I have set forth the Dhamma without making any distinction of esoteric and exoteric doctrine; there is nothing, Ananda, with regard to the teachings that the Tathagata holds to the last with the closed fist of a teacher who keeps some things back.
~ MahaParinibbana sutta DN 16
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

dvemebhikkhave wrote:samyutta 10..? mist be p.t.s numbering, still cant find the name.of the samyutta or sutta
Yes, I think I got the number wrong; maybe it is vol.1 sutta 10? Got it from here:

http://obo.genaud.net/a/dhamma-vinaya/p ... ali.bd.htm

See Sutta 10; Isayosamuddaka Sutta
bhante dhamma

Post by bhante dhamma »

hi dhamma-mitra's, had a sutta running through my mind but cant remember the name/no...all I can recollect is that it is talking about a monk(s) becoming sad when laypeople are sad etc..mybe a sutta to do with types of monks...ie A.N 4..does it ring a bell anyone..?
bhante dhamma

Post by bhante dhamma »

Does anyone have a canonical reference for the Ovada Patimokkha...?
Samana Johann 1

Post by Samana Johann 1 »

bhante dhamma wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:48 am Does anyone have a canonical reference for the Ovada Patimokkha...?
Ven. Sir, this might be of help.

As far my person is aware, it mostly a commentary gift around it.
http://zugangzureinsicht.org/html/ptf/dhamma/sila/uposatha_en.html wrote:Magha Puja

This day, sometimes called "Sangha Day," commemorates the spontaneous assembly of 1,250 arahants in the Buddha's presence. One thousand of the gathered monks had previously achieved Awakening upon hearing the Buddha's delivery of the Fire Sermon; the remaining 250 were followers of the elder monks Ven. Moggallana and Ven. Sariputta. To mark this auspicious gathering, the Buddha delivered the Ovada-Patimokkha Gatha , a summary of the main points of the Dhamma, which the Buddha gave to the assembly before sending them out to proclaim the doctrine. [Suggested reading: "Dhamma for Everyone " by Ajaan Lee.]
The fire sermon is found in the Mahavagga (vinaya) and in the suttas.

May Bhante always feel given to raise a question or point on a need without timely limit.
Last edited by Samana Johann 1 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not clear if the possibility to take on form here is given, so also this post might be made on merely uncomfortable trust. Please don't be shy to make remark as well as to do what ever with the post you might be inspired to. Key is found here. May it be, how ever, understood as Dhamma-Dana toward the Sangha of Buddhas Savakas and those following them and not thought for any kind of trade or exchange for low purpose for the world. Feel also always welcome here.
bodom

Post by bodom »

bhante dhamma wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:48 am Does anyone have a canonical reference for the Ovada Patimokkha...?
Dhammapada verses 183 through 185.
183. To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.

184. Enduring patience is the highest austerity. "Nibbana is supreme," say the Buddhas. He is not a true monk who harms another, nor a true renunciate who oppresses others.

185. Not despising, not harming, restraint according to the code of monastic discipline, moderation in food, dwelling in solitude, devotion to meditation — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Samana Johann 1

Sadhu, Nyom Bodom.

It's how ever interesting that the dph-commentary seems to point on another occasion:
The Story of the Question Raised by Thera Ananda

May it be understood as given as well, for proper use, Bhante.
It's not clear if the possibility to take on form here is given, so also this post might be made on merely uncomfortable trust. Please don't be shy to make remark as well as to do what ever with the post you might be inspired to. Key is found here. May it be, how ever, understood as Dhamma-Dana toward the Sangha of Buddhas Savakas and those following them and not thought for any kind of trade or exchange for low purpose for the world. Feel also always welcome here.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

bhante dhamma wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:23 am ...'the buddha.said anapanasati.is the crown jewel of mediattion,' which made.me.think if the Buddha had actually verbatim said that.
SN 54.11 Icchānaṅgala Sutta
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Samana Johann 1

Bhante, for proper use:

Icchānaṅgala Sutta (SN 54:11)