New Analayo Book

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Kamran

New Analayo Book

Post by Kamran »

Mindfully Facing Disease and Death, Compassionate Advice from Early Buddhist Texts by Ven. Analayo

http://www.windhorsepublications.com/pr ... hist-texts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bodom

Re: New Analayo Book

Post by bodom »

:thumbsup:

Any new book from Venerable Analayo is cause for rejoice.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

:bow:

Thank you, Kamran. Ven. Analayo is a treasure.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mkoll wrote::bow:

Thank you, Kamran. Ven. Analayo is a treasure.
An excellent scholar and practitioner.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Javi

Post by Javi »

Sadhu, I am astounded at the pace Venerable Analayo just keeps producing work tirelessly
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Has anyone read the book?
DeannaDuarte

Post by DeannaDuarte »

I haven't read it, this book. But very soon going to read it.
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

If he doesn't arrange for "freely-given" access, then it's not dhamma, or his efforts are defiled.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

cjmacie wrote:[...]
I imagine that he does not have the funding/publishing apparatus necessary to print and freely distribute his books, and since he's opted for a printed book vs. online PDF in this case, I imagine his hands are tied and he can no longer release the book's PDF for free distribution.

"As an act of Dhammadāna, Anālayo has waived royalty payments for this book."
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

Nicolas wrote:...I imagine his hands are tied and he can no longer release the book's PDF for free distribution.
Aka "fettered" -- that's what I meant by "defiled".

Where there's a will, there's a way...
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

cjmacie wrote:[...]
I imagine he made that choice thinking that the publication by Windhorse would reach more people than a free PDF.
Perhaps the waived royalties are going to a good cause?
It could be a good idea to email him to ask him, to get full understanding of the reasons why he chose that route.
bodom

Post by bodom »

cjmacie wrote:If he doesn't arrange for "freely-given" access, then it's not dhamma, or his efforts are defiled.
The same could be said about Bodhi's translations then could it not?

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

I've been reading the book.

It isn't what I hoped for from the impression I gained from the title and the way the book has been promoted.

I was hoping for explicit, specialized advice for coping with illness and death.

I haven't finished the book yet, but so far almost all of the sutta references go back to a sick/dying monk/lay adherent being advised to maintain mindfulness as a means of easing the suffering. What you would be doing anyway studying Buddhism.

I do think the book is worth it for the fresh translation, and a fresh translation from a different source. I also like the comparing of sutta versions between the Nikayas and Agamas. Analayo also has a nice writing style.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

Don't need to look for a more complex answer than observing/attending to the four frames of reference. It's a wonder but you can actually recover from your illness with these contemplations; this is not always possible. Yes, medicines, but some patients won't recover even if they get the best medicines or physical treatments. Equanimity is essential to endure anything painful, pain which the world has to offer everyone, regardless of age, ability, lifespan. Make a lot of merit so you have a mental protection because feeling arises independently of a self or anything pertaining to a self. Any reaction to physical suffering will yield mental suffering. The facts are not so tough if you understand.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

Understand contact, the arising of contact, the cessation of contact and the path leading to the cessation of contact. Name-and-form precedes contact, contact precedes feeling in the chain link of dependent origination. Apply your mind!
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested