a preliminary timeline

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
tiltbillings

Re: a preliminary timeline

Post by tiltbillings »

Where are A.K. Warder, E. LaMotte, Lalmani Joshi, Heinz Bechert, Richard Gombrich, Hajime Nakamura?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Not really sources I used for this, so they aren't cited.

But, nevermind; I thought this would be helpful or interesting, but it's caused naught but head pain and stress for me. So I'm gonna let this stupid thing die, and we can all move on.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

daverupa wrote:Not really sources I used for this, so they aren't cited.
I shrug my shoulders. Obviously you did not use them. My point is that you have with these authors some significant historical discussions, which would be useful for your project.
But, nevermind; I thought this would be helpful or interesting, but it's caused naught but head pain and stress for me. So I'm gonna let this stupid thing die, and we can all move on.
Peter Harvey's excellent An Introduction to Buddhism: Teachings, History and Practices has done much of this work, and would be a great resource.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
samseva

Post by samseva »

daverupa wrote:But, nevermind; I thought this would be helpful or interesting, but it's caused naught but head pain and stress for me. So I'm gonna let this stupid thing die, and we can all move on.
Thanks for the resource. It's just that without the references and without knowing your workflow, it isn't really possible to completely rely on the accuracy of the dates and events you provided. I'm guessing you would probably think similarly if it were someone else posting a compilation without any references.

Take care.