The racial appearance of the Buddha: Vasala 'outcaste'

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.
thomaslaw
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:55 am
Location: Australia

The racial appearance of the Buddha: Vasala 'outcaste'

Post by thomaslaw » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:03 am

Hi All,

In Sutta-nipaata 1.7 Vasala-sutta, the Buddha was being called as 'outcaste' (vasala-ka 'wicked outcaste') by a Brahmin (Sn 21: ' ''tatr' eve sama.naka, tatr' eve vasalaka ti.t.thaahii'' ti'. 'You are an outcaste, do not approach').

So, the Buddha was an 'outcaste' (vasala) to the Brahmin.

- Is it possible the racial appearance of the Buddha was 'non-Aryan', thus being called 'vasala' by the Brahmin?

Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakya" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; states thus:

“According to Hmannan Yazawin, first published in 1823, the legendary king Abhiyaza, who founded the Tagaung Kingdom and the Burmese monarchy belonged to the same Shakya clan of the Buddha.He migrated to the present-day Burma after the annexation of the Shakya kingdom by Kosala. The earlier Burmese accounts stated that he was a descendant of Pyusawhti, son of a solar spirit and a dragon princess.”

- Does anyone know which Burmese ethnic group currently considers themselves as the descendants from the same Shakya clan of the Buddha? If there exists such a group of people in Burma/Myanmar, their language may be the same or similar language of the Buddha?

Regards,

Thomas

User avatar
Cittasanto
Posts: 6623
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin
Contact:

Re: The racial appearance of the Buddha: Vasala 'outcaste'

Post by Cittasanto » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:13 pm

Hi,
He was probably darker skinned due to tanning in the sun. But he was probably referred to as an outcast because he was a Samana, not because of scin colour as it appears the cast system wasn't as rigid as it was today. There are some Hindus who disagree with the cast system's rigidity based on their texts. I'll see if I can find the sources later

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
Last edited by Cittasanto on Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
...
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

dagon
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:45 am

Re: The racial appearance of the Buddha: Vasala 'outcaste'

Post by dagon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:44 pm

Cittasanto wrote:Hi,
He was probably darker skinned due to tanning in the sun. But he was probably referred to as an outcast because he was a Samanera, not because of scin colour as it appears the cast system wasn't as rigid as it was today. There are some Hindus who disagree with the cast system's rigidity based on their texts. I'll see if I can find the sources later

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
See the notes at http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .piya.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1.The abusive terms used by the brahman and the respectful address that follows need a word of explanation. The brahman had just prepared his offering to the great Brahma, his God, when his eyes fell on Buddha. To the brahman the sight of a samana, a shaven-headed recluse, was an unlucky sign. Hence he burst into angry words. The Buddha, however, was unruffled and spoke to him quietly in words of soft cadence. The brahman apparently was ashamed, and repenting of his folly, addressed the Buddha courteously. Comy. It is interesting to note the Buddha's stress on anger and hatred in his very first stanza.
metta

User avatar
Cittasanto
Posts: 6623
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin
Contact:

Re: The racial appearance of the Buddha: Vasala 'outcaste'

Post by Cittasanto » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:01 pm

Cittasanto wrote:Hi,
He was probably darker skinned due to tanning in the sun. But he was probably referred to as an outcast because he was a Samanera, not because of scin colour as it appears the caste system wasn't as rigid as it was today. There are some Hindus who disagree with the caste system's rigidity based on their texts. I'll see if I can find the sources later

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
EDIT - Spelling mistakes corrected.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
...
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

thomaslaw
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:55 am
Location: Australia

Re: The racial appearance of the Buddha: Vasala 'outcaste'

Post by thomaslaw » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:52 am

Hi

Thanks for the reply. But I think 'vasala' also refers to 'ca.n.daala', one of the low classes/clans/tribes. The commentary seems speculating the story!

Regards,

Thomas

User avatar
Kusala
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:02 am

Re: The racial appearance of the Buddha: Vasala 'outcaste'

Post by Kusala » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:47 am

thomaslaw wrote:Hi All,

In Sutta-nipaata 1.7 Vasala-sutta, the Buddha was being called as 'outcaste' (vasala-ka 'wicked outcaste') by a Brahmin (Sn 21: ' ''tatr' eve sama.naka, tatr' eve vasalaka ti.t.thaahii'' ti'. 'You are an outcaste, do not approach').

So, the Buddha was an 'outcaste' (vasala) to the Brahmin.

- Is it possible the racial appearance of the Buddha was 'non-Aryan', thus being called 'vasala' by the Brahmin?

Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakya" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; states thus:

“According to Hmannan Yazawin, first published in 1823, the legendary king Abhiyaza, who founded the Tagaung Kingdom and the Burmese monarchy belonged to the same Shakya clan of the Buddha.He migrated to the present-day Burma after the annexation of the Shakya kingdom by Kosala. The earlier Burmese accounts stated that he was a descendant of Pyusawhti, son of a solar spirit and a dragon princess.”

- Does anyone know which Burmese ethnic group currently considers themselves as the descendants from the same Shakya clan of the Buddha? If there exists such a group of people in Burma/Myanmar, their language may be the same or similar language of the Buddha?

Regards,

Thomas
I did some research on the subject and concluded that the Buddha, without a shadow of a doubt, was an Aryan. The Pali Cannon describes the Buddha as tall, handsome, blue eyed...from Afghanistan to Northern India, you find people that could possibly be the descendants of the ancient Aryans...

Here's an Afghan man

Image

School girl from Northern India

Image
Image

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "

User avatar
Dhammanando
Posts: 4029
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:44 pm
Location: Ban Sri Pradu Cremation Ground, Phrao District, Chiangmai

Re: The racial appearance of the Buddha: Vasala 'outcaste'

Post by Dhammanando » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:02 am

Kusala wrote:I did some research on the subject and concluded that the Buddha, without a shadow of a doubt, was an Aryan. The Pali Cannon describes the Buddha as tall, handsome, blue eyed...from Afghanistan to Northern India, you find people that could possibly be the descendants of the ancient Aryans...
These descriptions are from the list of the thirty-two marks of a mahāpurisa. Was it also normal for the ancient Aryans to have forty teeth, sheathed penises and webbed fingers?

User avatar
Kusala
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:02 am

Re: The racial appearance of the Buddha: Vasala 'outcaste'

Post by Kusala » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:07 am

Hehe :mrgreen: Good one, Venerable Dhammanando! The 32 marks is weird... :thinking:
Image

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "

SarathW
Posts: 9590
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: The racial appearance of the Buddha: Vasala 'outcaste'

Post by SarathW » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:33 am

What are the 32 marks?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
Dhammanando
Posts: 4029
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:44 pm
Location: Ban Sri Pradu Cremation Ground, Phrao District, Chiangmai

Re: The racial appearance of the Buddha: Vasala 'outcaste'

Post by Dhammanando » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:26 am

SarathW wrote:What are the 32 marks?
The marks along with their past causes:

https://suttacentral.net/en/dn30

User avatar
Kusala
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:02 am

Re: The racial appearance of the Buddha: Vasala 'outcaste'

Post by Kusala » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:07 pm

thomaslaw wrote:Hi All,

In Sutta-nipaata 1.7 Vasala-sutta, the Buddha was being called as 'outcaste' (vasala-ka 'wicked outcaste') by a Brahmin (Sn 21: ' ''tatr' eve sama.naka, tatr' eve vasalaka ti.t.thaahii'' ti'. 'You are an outcaste, do not approach').

So, the Buddha was an 'outcaste' (vasala) to the Brahmin.

- Is it possible the racial appearance of the Buddha was 'non-Aryan', thus being called 'vasala' by the Brahmin?

Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakya" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; states thus:

“According to Hmannan Yazawin, first published in 1823, the legendary king Abhiyaza, who founded the Tagaung Kingdom and the Burmese monarchy belonged to the same Shakya clan of the Buddha.He migrated to the present-day Burma after the annexation of the Shakya kingdom by Kosala. The earlier Burmese accounts stated that he was a descendant of Pyusawhti, son of a solar spirit and a dragon princess.”

- Does anyone know which Burmese ethnic group currently considers themselves as the descendants from the same Shakya clan of the Buddha? If there exists such a group of people in Burma/Myanmar, their language may be the same or similar language of the Buddha?

Regards,

Thomas
Some Brahmins held the Buddha in high regard...the Brahmin, Cankti, for instance...

"...When this was said, the brahmin Cankī told those brahmins: “Now, sirs, hear from me why it is proper for me to go to see Master Gotama, and why it is not proper for Master Gotama to come to see me. Sirs, the recluse Gotama is well born on both sides, of pure maternal and paternal descent seven generations back, unassailable and impeccable in respect of birth. Since this is so, sirs, it is not proper for Master Gotama to come to see me; rather, it is proper for me to go to see Master Gotama.

Sirs, the recluse Gotama went forth abandoning much gold and bullion stored away in vaults and depositories. Sirs, the recluse Gotama went forth from the home life into homelessness while still young, a black-haired young man endowed with the blessing of youth, in the prime of life.

Sirs, the recluse Gotama shaved off his hair and beard, put on the yellow robe, and went forth from the home life into homelessness though his mother and father wished otherwise and wept with tearful faces. Sirs, the recluse Gotama is handsome, comely, and graceful, possessing supreme beauty of complexion, [167] with sublime beauty and sublime presence, remarkable to behold.

Sirs, the recluse Gotama is virtuous, with noble virtue, with wholesome virtue, possessing wholesome virtue. Sirs, the recluse Gotama is a good speaker with a good delivery; he speaks words that are courteous, distinct, flawless, and communicate the meaning. Sirs, the recluse Gotama is a teacher of the teachers of many. Sirs, the recluse Gotama is free from sensual lust and without personal vanity. Sirs, the recluse Gotama holds the doctrine of the moral efficacy of action, the doctrine of the moral efficacy of deeds; he does not seek any harm for the line of brahmins. Sirs, the recluse Gotama went forth from an aristocratic family, from one of the original noble families..."


http://www.wisdompubs.org/book/middle-l ... anki-sutta" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "

thomaslaw
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:55 am
Location: Australia

Re: The racial appearance of the Buddha: Vasala 'outcaste'

Post by thomaslaw » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:12 am

Hi Kusala

"Kusala wrote:

Some Brahmins held the Buddha in high regard...the Brahmin, Cankti, for instance...

"...When this was said, the brahmin Cankī told those brahmins: “Now, sirs, hear from me why it is proper for me to go to see Master Gotama, and why it is not proper for Master Gotama to come to see me. Sirs, the recluse Gotama is well born on both sides, of pure maternal and paternal descent seven generations back, unassailable and impeccable in respect of birth. Since this is so, sirs, it is not proper for Master Gotama to come to see me; rather, it is proper for me to go to see Master Gotama.

Sirs, the recluse Gotama went forth abandoning much gold and bullion stored away in vaults and depositories. Sirs, the recluse Gotama went forth from the home life into homelessness while still young, a black-haired young man endowed with the blessing of youth, in the prime of life.

Sirs, the recluse Gotama shaved off his hair and beard, put on the yellow robe, and went forth from the home life into homelessness though his mother and father wished otherwise and wept with tearful faces. Sirs, the recluse Gotama is handsome, comely, and graceful, possessing supreme beauty of complexion, [167] with sublime beauty and sublime presence, remarkable to behold.

Sirs, the recluse Gotama is virtuous, with noble virtue, with wholesome virtue, possessing wholesome virtue. Sirs, the recluse Gotama is a good speaker with a good delivery; he speaks words that are courteous, distinct, flawless, and communicate the meaning. Sirs, the recluse Gotama is a teacher of the teachers of many. Sirs, the recluse Gotama is free from sensual lust and without personal vanity. Sirs, the recluse Gotama holds the doctrine of the moral efficacy of action, the doctrine of the moral efficacy of deeds; he does not seek any harm for the line of brahmins. Sirs, the recluse Gotama went forth from an aristocratic family, from one of the original noble families..."

http://www.wisdompubs.org/book/middle-l" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... anki-sutta
--

Yes, this is very high regard, including the Buddha's appearance! But it does not imply the Buddha looks like an Aryan person: '... a black-haired ...'

Regards,

Thomas

User avatar
Diego Hemken
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:45 am
Location: SF, California
Contact:

Re: The racial appearance of the Buddha: Vasala 'outcaste'

Post by Diego Hemken » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:22 am

A samana is someone who lives in poverty. They do not wear cosmetics, jewelery, or fancy clothing. They do not bathe a lot. They wear just about the most basic clothing possible, a robe, often made of discarded rags and whatnot. They do not even sit on high chairs. Their food an shelter is by default meager. They do not enjoy entertainment, women, slaves, food at the wrong time, etc. They do not raise a family.

I think for all of these reasons it is easy to see why a Brahman, unaware of the attainments and nobility of the Buddha, would call a samana an outcaste. Being a samana is basically being a bum. A bum who is dedicated to sila and jhana, but still a bum.

thomaslaw
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:55 am
Location: Australia

Re: The racial appearance of the Buddha: Vasala 'outcaste'

Post by thomaslaw » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:21 pm

Diego Hemken wrote:A samana is someone who lives in poverty. They do not wear cosmetics, jewelery, or fancy clothing. They do not bathe a lot. They wear just about the most basic clothing possible, a robe, often made of discarded rags and whatnot. They do not even sit on high chairs. Their food an shelter is by default meager. They do not enjoy entertainment, women, slaves, food at the wrong time, etc. They do not raise a family.

I think for all of these reasons it is easy to see why a Brahman, unaware of the attainments and nobility of the Buddha, would call a samana an outcaste. Being a samana is basically being a bum. A bum who is dedicated to sila and jhana, but still a bum.
Hi Diego,

This is a good point! A samana being a bum is regarded as vasala 'outcaste' (or ca.n.daala) by the Brahman.

Thomas

frank k
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:55 pm

Re: The racial appearance of the Buddha: Vasala 'outcaste'

Post by frank k » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:45 pm

On a related question, why are there no buddha images and statues where he looks like a bhikkhu wearing a vinaya compliant robe and hair that is less than 1 inch long?

Here's one a friend pointed out where the Buddha at least has a shaved head that looks like a bhikkhu. But the robe, not compliant:

http://www.art.com/products/p12260749/p ... s&stp=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are there any others existing out there?
http://www.audtip.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Audio Sutta Recordings

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests