The Satipatthana Sutta a forgery?

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.
Javi

Re: The Satipatthana Sutta a forgery?

Post by Javi » Fri May 15, 2015 2:04 pm

I agree that we need to interpret the sutta in the context of all the others - in what's called the hermeneutic circle if you will. To understand that context better, we use history and textual analysis to understand how those texts evolved and how they are structured. So its clearly not irrelevant scholasticism.
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14

mikenz66

Re: The Satipatthana Sutta a forgery?

Post by mikenz66 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:43 pm

Sure, it can be useful at times. What I was pointing out, though, was that the various lists that may or may not have been added to the Pali version, or lost from other versions, are not "late ideas". They are core lists, such as the Noble Truths, so their addition is, to me, of no consequence. The sutta, after all, seems to be just a list of possible objects, not a step-by-step progression (though the four foundations do seem to be progressively more subtle).

The additions in the Satipatthana sutta are, therefore, is in stark contrast with some other suttas that show signs of later developments. An obvious one is the mundane/supramundane distinctions of MN117 The Great Forty, which appear to be part of abhidhammic developments:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 341#p16848
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 92#p212610

:anjali:
Mike