Origination of feelings

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
salayatananirodha

Re: Origination of feelings

Post by salayatananirodha »

OK, I read in the majjhima nikāya that sensual pleasures cause sensual pleasures. In grasping at pleasant feeling, the untrained worldly person seeks delight in pleasant feeling and, as a result, suffers painful feeling. In feeling painful feeling, he chases again pleasant feeling. That's what is sinister about this cycle -- look at heroin addicts, they will end up on the street infested with sores, willing to cause themselves harm in order to get what they feel will bring an end to their pain, but it's only temporary. All pleasant feeling simply stimulates the aggregates, which are not self. When you see the roots of dependent origination, you come into realizing that what you're feeding is craving, that it's this alien thing, foreign. When you completely deprive it it decays and it withers away.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

salayatananirodha wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:54 am OK, I read in the majjhima nikāya that sensual pleasures cause sensual pleasures. In grasping at pleasant feeling, the untrained worldly person seeks delight in pleasant feeling and, as a result, suffers painful feeling. In feeling painful feeling, he chases again pleasant feeling. That's what is sinister about this cycle -- look at heroin addicts, they will end up on the street infested with sores, willing to cause themselves harm in order to get what they feel will bring an end to their pain, but it's only temporary. All pleasant feeling simply stimulates the aggregates, which are not self. When you see the roots of dependent origination, you come into realizing that what you're feeding is craving, that it's this alien thing, foreign. When you completely deprive it it decays and it withers away.
The bodily/physical feeling 'kayika vedana' should be fine and healthy for a physically heathy person, but here the mental feeling 'cetasika vedana' becomes a mental health issue.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

thomaslaw wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:31 am

Also, I think the mental feeling 'cetasika vedana' can be regarded as negative emotion.
Can you elaborate on negative emotions ?
You always gain by giving
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

James Tan wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:58 pm
thomaslaw wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:31 am

Also, I think the mental feeling 'cetasika vedana' can be regarded as negative emotion.
Can you elaborate on negative emotions ?
The negative emotion here refers to 'desire hatred delusion', which are arisen by craving 'tanha', leading to the arising of mental suffering 'dukkha'. For the ending of this mental suffering, it requires one to know 'jaanaati' and to see 'passati' things as they really are 'yathaabhuuta.m', according to the SN/SA suttas (cf. pp. 34-5, 52-6, Fundamental Teachings of Early Buddhism, Choong Mun-keat).
:buddha1:
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Mkoll wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:11 am When you divorce dependent origination from a "one-life only" approach, you free yourself to see how links can act as supporting condition for other links, regardless of order. For example, without birth as a being, how could there be any experience at all? Yet birth is the 11th of 12 links with the 12th being aging and death.
Thanks Mkoll, that makes sense to me. Looking solely from a one life interpretation it would not make much sense I suppose.
“Householder, you have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick, but you shouldn’t rest content with the thought, ‘We have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick.’ So you should train yourself, ‘Let’s periodically enter & remain in seclusion & rapture.’ That’s how you should train yourself.”
AN 5.176- Rapture
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

DarrenM wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:12 pm
Mkoll wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:11 am When you divorce dependent origination from a "one-life only" approach, you free yourself to see how links can act as supporting condition for other links, regardless of order. For example, without birth as a being, how could there be any experience at all? Yet birth is the 11th of 12 links with the 12th being aging and death.
Thanks Mkoll, that makes sense to me. Looking solely from a one life interpretation it would not make much sense I suppose.
But it seems to me the birth in the 11th of 12 links does not suggest 'more than one life'. Also, the term samsara is not found in the 12 links. So, I consider it is better to focus on 'dukkha' rather than samsara in the 12 links.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

thomaslaw wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:09 am
santa100 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:08 am
thomaslaw wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:06 am No, can you find it? :thumbsup:
No, can you find it? :thumbsup:
No. :jumping:
Santa, if you think this is frustrating, try getting him to read a footnote:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=30866&hilit=Choong ... 15#p452581
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:27 am
thomaslaw wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:09 am
santa100 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:08 am
No, can you find it? :thumbsup:
No. :jumping:
Santa, if you think this is frustrating, try getting him to read a footnote:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=30866&hilit=Choong ... 15#p452581
This message should not be posted here for the subject? Do you mean you are "frustrating" :rolleye: