Buddha Statues facing East

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Buddha Statues facing East

Post by DNS »

Cool, another topic necro-posted back up to front page. Reading this thread brought back some memories...
pilgrim wrote:So why did the Buddha face east?
Well we know that the Buddha was enlightened on the morning of Wesak that is in May. This time of the year is the peak of the hot indian summer. He first sat down under the Bodhi tree on the evening of Wesak Eve probably around 5 to 6 pm when the sun was low on the horizon.
So the Buddha faced east, for no mystical reason but because in this position, he was on the eastern part of the large Bodhi tree where the shade was and he had his back to the Bodhi tree and the evening sun.
:namaste:
Yes, I agree with this and also the other posters that if it has meaning for you, then by all means do so, but focusing on it as if it were some kind of commandment would be attachment to rites, rituals.

Since this topic first began in the meantime I had a Maha Bodhi replica built at my place and by good luck and chance has it, the position was just right so that it faces East, including the main Buddha statue inside.

:buddha2:
SarathW

Re: Buddha Statues facing East

Post by SarathW »

by good luck and chance
It appears world protecting Deva is helping you.
:D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”