Haikus Of The Way Of The Elders

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
daverupa

Re: Haikus Of The Way Of The Elders

Post by daverupa »

...also, seasonal/natural reference ought to comprise a facet...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Well, not always so...
Frogs and fish in cooling streams....
no time specified....
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
SamBodhi

Post by SamBodhi »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Those are not Haiku
Strictly speaking there are rules.
Read my notes, above....

...Although I must say
Their expression is profound
Leave them as they are....
Those are Haiku strictly speaking. I don't have time to go into it, but your rules are incorrect.
"An inward-staying
unentangled knowing,
All outward-going knowing
cast aside."
--Upasika Kee Nanayon
TheNoBSBuddhist

Well I got them from a Japanese book on Haïkus, so maybe there's more than one way to skin a rabbit.

EDIT NOTE:
I also found a website (toyomasu.com) how to write Haiku.
The method i described is confirmed... As I said, there are many ways perhaps..
What is Haiku?

Haiku is one of the most important form of traditional Japanese poetry. Haiku is, today, a 17-syllable verse form consisting of three metrical units of 5, 7, and 5 syllable...The metrical pattern of Haiku

Haiku-poems consist of respectively 5, 7 and 5 syllables in three units. In japanese, this convention is a must, but in english, which has variation in the length of syllables, this can sometimes be difficult.

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

So many sorts of
wind-tossed whiz-words can wind up
amazing people.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Well I got them from a Japanese book on Haïkus, so maybe there's more than one way to skin a rabbit.
Wikipedia: Haiku wrote: In comparison with English verse typically characterized by syllabic meter, Japanese verse counts sound units known as "on" or morae. Traditional haiku consist of 17 on, in three phrases of five, seven and five on respectively. Among contemporary poems teikei (定型 fixed form) haiku continue to use the 5-7-5 pattern while jiyuritsu (自由律 free form) haiku do not. One of the examples below illustrates that traditional haiku masters were not always constrained by the 5-7-5 pattern.

Although the word "on" is sometimes translated as "syllable," one on is counted for a short syllable, two for an elongated vowel, diphthong, or doubled consonant, and one for an "n" at the end of a syllable. Thus, the word "haibun," though counted as two syllables in English, is counted as four on in Japanese (ha-i-bu-n); and the word "on" itself, which English-speakers would view as a single syllable, comprises two on: the short vowel o and the moraic nasal n̩. This is illustrated by the Issa haiku below, which contains 17 on but only 15 syllables. Conversely, some sounds, such as "kyo" (きょ) can be perceived as two syllables in English but are a single on in Japanese.

The word onji (音字; "sound symbol") is sometimes used in referring to Japanese sound units in English although this word is no longer current in Japanese. In Japanese, each on corresponds to a kana character (or sometimes digraph) and hence ji (or "character") is also sometimes used as the count unit.

In 1973, the Haiku Society of America noted that the norm for writers of haiku in English was to use 17 syllables, but they also noted a trend toward shorter haiku.

Some translators of Japanese poetry have noted that about 12 syllables in English approximate the duration of 17 Japanese on.
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

The wren
Earns his living
Noiselessly.

- Issa
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
TheNoBSBuddhist

Learning something new
Gives my heart and mind such joy
and it never ends....

Many thanks.

Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Running around the source of water...
I forgot...
That i'am tired...
Attachments
dsc0637-001_edited-1_edited1.jpg
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Empty school...
Gutter is clogged...
...with books
Attachments
borders-book-trashing.jpeg
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Itching wound...
Hands in anjali...
If I tuch - i die...
Attachments
Spokoistvie.jpg