Monks escape fire and gunfire in N.Las Vegas

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 12831
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Monks escape fire and gunfire in N.Las Vegas

Post by DNS » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:58 pm

https://www.ktnv.com/news/two-fires-in- ... -on-sunday
The people started to put the fire out, then say they saw a man standing in the doorway of the main temple dousing the floor in gasoline saying, "I hate you."

He was holding a gun. They say he fired multiple shots but didn't hit anyone.

The witnesses found a bullet hole in a pillow inside the temple.

North Las Vegas police say the man was later found dead in a nearby backyard. Police say he shot himself.

The investigation remains ongoing.
:candle:

User avatar
Keith
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:23 pm

Re: Monks escape fire and gunfire in N.Las Vegas

Post by Keith » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:34 pm

Odd to target such a group

User avatar
JamesTheGiant
Posts: 1151
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:41 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Monks escape fire and gunfire in N.Las Vegas

Post by JamesTheGiant » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:22 pm

So fortunate nobody was killed. Amazing.
DNS, how far is that from where you live?

dharmacorps
Posts: 1095
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Re: Monks escape fire and gunfire in N.Las Vegas

Post by dharmacorps » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:00 pm

Glad to hear everyone was OK. Very weird-- the man sounds quite deranged.

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 12831
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Monks escape fire and gunfire in N.Las Vegas

Post by DNS » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:40 pm

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:22 pm
So fortunate nobody was killed. Amazing.
DNS, how far is that from where you live?
Only about 12 miles away (approx. 20km). I'll have to take a drive over and see how they are managing.

JohnK
Posts: 1010
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:06 pm
Location: Tetons, Wyoming, USA

Re: Monks escape fire and gunfire in N.Las Vegas

Post by JohnK » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:52 pm

Here is a physical address, but it may or may not be the best place to send a donation.
If anyone gets wind of more precisely how to donate, please post.
Thai Buddhist Temple--Las Vegas
2959 W Gowan Rd,
North Las Vegas, NV 89032
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]

User avatar
Lucas Oliveira
Posts: 924
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Monks escape fire and gunfire in N.Las Vegas

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:17 am

Buddhist Monks at Thai Temple in Las Vegas Flee Gunfire and Arson

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/buddh ... -and-arson

:candle:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 12831
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Monks escape fire and gunfire in N.Las Vegas

Post by DNS » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:16 am

JohnK wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:52 pm
Here is a physical address, but it may or may not be the best place to send a donation.
If anyone gets wind of more precisely how to donate, please post.
Thai Buddhist Temple--Las Vegas
2959 W Gowan Rd,
North Las Vegas, NV 89032
Nothing online yet, but they are accepting cash and check donations at the temple. Lay people have come out and are being very generous.

Good news is that they have insurance! But there may still be a deductible amount that they'll have to pay for the insurance to re-build.

Disciple
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Monks escape fire and gunfire in N.Las Vegas

Post by Disciple » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:14 am

Thoughts and prayers 🙏

SarathW
Posts: 13315
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Monks escape fire and gunfire in N.Las Vegas

Post by SarathW » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:52 am

It is sad to see there are so many people with mental disorders.
I wish that the man had the knowledge of true Buddhist teaching.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

binocular
Posts: 6953
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Monks escape fire and gunfire in N.Las Vegas

Post by binocular » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:05 pm

DNS wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:58 pm
https://www.ktnv.com/news/two-fires-in- ... -on-sunday
The people started to put the fire out, then say they saw a man standing in the doorway of the main temple dousing the floor in gasoline saying, "I hate you."

He was holding a gun. They say he fired multiple shots but didn't hit anyone.

The witnesses found a bullet hole in a pillow inside the temple.

North Las Vegas police say the man was later found dead in a nearby backyard. Police say he shot himself.

The investigation remains ongoing.
There's an episode of CSI Las Vegas where something similar happens.

binocular
Posts: 6953
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Monks escape fire and gunfire in N.Las Vegas

Post by binocular » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:09 pm

SarathW wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:52 am
It is sad to see there are so many people with mental disorders.
It's easy to dismiss such events as the acts of deranged individuals.
I wish that the man had the knowledge of true Buddhist teaching.
Which are what?
And if you yourself are not sure what those true teachings are, how can you be sure that that man didn't know them?

The Buddhist temple in the OP looks like it is in the Mahayana tradition. There is statue of Hotei in the front.

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 12831
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Monks escape fire and gunfire in N.Las Vegas

Post by DNS » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:03 pm

binocular wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:09 pm
The Buddhist temple in the OP looks like it is in the Mahayana tradition. There is statue of Hotei in the front.
It's Theravada; typically lay people will donate various statues to the temples and they accept them even if they are Mahayana style statues. So there are Hotei statues, Guan-yin statues. Not sure what they would do if Vajrayana statues were offered, though, I haven't seen any of those there or at other Thai temples.

SarathW
Posts: 13315
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Monks escape fire and gunfire in N.Las Vegas

Post by SarathW » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:14 am

It's easy to dismiss such events as the acts of deranged individuals.
It appears the man has taken his own life after the incident.
This is some sort of suicide.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

binocular
Posts: 6953
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Monks escape fire and gunfire in N.Las Vegas

Post by binocular » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:59 pm

SarathW wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:14 am
It's easy to dismiss such events as the acts of deranged individuals.
It appears the man has taken his own life after the incident.
This is some sort of suicide.
Religious/spiritual people should expect such events. They have helped to push people to the edge of desperate actions.
Religious/spiritual people love to claim they know The Truth, and they don't care that other religious/spiritual people also claim to know The Truth, albeit they profess something other as such. They should expect this to backfire. Literally.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests