House statues of the buddha?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
2600htz

House statues of the buddha?

Post by 2600htz » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:28 am

Hello:

Kinda silly question haha.
What are your thoughts about using statues of the Buddha in a house?. Im having mixed emotions.
I would love to have a big Buddha in a garden, or in some interior place, but at the same time houses are not what you would call a "sacred place", so i think i would feel remorse or that im being disrespectful if in the house there is unskillfull behaviour ,like some party, or someone fights in front of the statue. Also its kinda shallow haha maybe i would feel superficial, but probably also inspired.

your opinion?.

Regards.

SarathW

Re: House statues of the buddha?

Post by SarathW » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:39 am

It depends on your objective and attention.
Buddha's statue may be seen as a piece of porcelain , rock, ornaments ,or veneration object.
So you treat accordingly.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:08 am

2600htz wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:28 am
but at the same time houses are not what you would call a "sacred place"
Why not? Most of the houses I have owned recently have also been places for buddhist meditation meetings and programs.
so i think i would feel remorse or that im being disrespectful if in the house there is unskillfull behaviour ,like some party, or someone fights in front of the statue.
Don't have parties or any fighting in the house; problem solved. :tongue:

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:30 am

For me the idea of a "sacred place" comes under the heading of empty ritual (which the buddha says should be abandoned)....but others probably see it differently.

Almost every thai house has a buddha statue in an appropriate (not sacred) place. Thai people don't worry about arguing or fighting in front of a buddha statue in their house (at the temple is a different matter).

chownah

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:52 am

2600htz wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:28 am
Hello:

Kinda silly question haha.
What are your thoughts about using statues of the Buddha in a house?. Im having mixed emotions.
I would love to have a big Buddha in a garden, or in some interior place, but at the same time houses are not what you would call a "sacred place", so i think i would feel remorse or that im being disrespectful if in the house there is unskillfull behaviour ,like some party, or someone fights in front of the statue. Also its kinda shallow haha maybe i would feel superficial, but probably also inspired.

your opinion?.

Regards.
I have a budda statue in my house kept at a neat and suitable place. A daily ritual of offering flowers , lighting an oil lamp and chanting of respect of budda damma sangha with panca sila is done. It has become a good habit coming down from my parents to me and now to my grand children to keep them in good mental order .

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:01 am

SarathW wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:39 am
It depends on your objective and attention.
Buddha's statue may be seen as a piece of porcelain , rock, ornaments ,or veneration object.
So you treat accordingly.
:goodpost:
🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐
  • "the one thing all the mistaken views have in common is the assump­tion that the self exists" ~ DN1
  • "It is an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" ~ MN22
  • The No-self doctrine is found only in the teaching of the Buddha.
  • No-self (anatta) means that there is no permanent, unchanging entity in anything animate or inanimate. ~ SN22.59

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:05 am

Buddha's statue can also be Buddha.

I think, some say something like this:
"Buddha-ness of a Buddha-statue is directly proportionate to one's level of Dhamma."

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐
  • "the one thing all the mistaken views have in common is the assump­tion that the self exists" ~ DN1
  • "It is an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" ~ MN22
  • The No-self doctrine is found only in the teaching of the Buddha.
  • No-self (anatta) means that there is no permanent, unchanging entity in anything animate or inanimate. ~ SN22.59