Chiang Mai visit?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
saddhamma

Re: Chiang Mai visit?

Post by saddhamma » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:54 am

Catoni wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:49 pm

And then in 2017 I spent two months in Cambodia, followed by five days seeing Bangkok temples before flying back to Canada.
Can't wait to return...
Hi Catoni,
I am planning a trip to Laos and Cambodia for two weeks in Dec 2019 and would appreciate any recommendation of forest monateries with strict vinaya discipline to stay at for a week or more to practice meditation. The more remote and quieter, the better, preferably without dogs at the monastery.

Thanks in advance.

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:14 pm

saddhamma wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:54 am
Catoni wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:49 pm

And then in 2017 I spent two months in Cambodia, followed by five days seeing Bangkok temples before flying back to Canada.
Can't wait to return...
Hi Catoni,
I am planning a trip to Laos and Cambodia for two weeks in Dec 2019 and would appreciate any recommendation of forest monateries with strict vinaya discipline to stay at for a week or more to practice meditation. The more remote and quieter, the better, preferably without dogs at the monastery.

Thanks in advance.
can u suggest me any monastery where they practice mediation as and follow strict rules. ? I will be taking off from India. I also want to visit forest monks and talk with them but my language is English.
non-agitation is highest peace
living unaffected by other cause and condition to suffering is true bliss
not associating with stupid people is immediate peace
- CL (confused layman)

tamdrin

Post by tamdrin » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:07 pm

Anyone coming to Chiang Mai, feel free to contact me. I've been living here for 5 years now and may be able to help you out.

Cheers.
Sean

sentinel

Post by sentinel » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:11 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:53 pm
Hello friends,

I might be in Chiang Mai (and environs) for a week in 2019. What Buddhist places do you recommend I visit in that area? When do you think is the best time of the year to visit?

Many thanks,
Nicolas
If you want to have a look at the famous and most Perfected Buddha statue , it would be far from Chiang Mai . Is it Phitsanulok !?
I have forgotten the temple name but anyone there should know .
:buddha1:

sentinel

Post by sentinel » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:49 pm

If anyone wants to stay in a forest monastery , I would suggest Sunnnataram in kanchanaburi .
There are many kuti but in the retreat season it would be packed . There is one branch in Mae Hong Son I think near Myanmar border .
They practice anapanasati and metta .

Ban Kroeng Kra Wia, Tambon Prang Phea, Ampher Sangkhla Buri, Kanchanaburi 71180

SIZE :
monks: 10-100
novices: 5-20
nuns: about 30
laywomen: 30-50
laymen: 5-10

DAILY ROUTINE :
3:30 a.m. wakeup;
4-6 a.m. chanting and meditation;
about 6 a.m. monks and novices go on a long 6-km pindabat;
8:30 a.m. monks and novices go on a second pindabat within the monastery;
9 a.m. chanting (reflection on food) and meditation for about 30 min., followed by the meal;
3 p.m. work period;
about 4 p.m. drink;
6-8 p.m. chanting (about one hour) and meditation;
8 p.m. sometimes a senior monk gives a talk.

FOOD :
Vegetarian of good quality and variety. Monks and novices go on pindabat for rice; laypeople at the monastery reoffer the rice and offer food prepared in the kitchen. A large garden beyond the women's kutis provides much of the community's requirements. Unusual for Thailand, the monastery and its branches take only vegetarian food as part of a metta practice.

ACCOMMODATIONS :
Individual kutis of various sizes and materials in both the sangha and womens areas; some have screens. When many visitors are expected, as during the Rains Retreat and when Phra Ajahn Yantra stays, simple bamboo kutis are built. Laypeople can stay in kutis, if available. Laymen who follow 8 precepts can stay in the sangha area. Only larger buildings have electricity and running water. Thai-style bathrooms (men can also use a bathing stream in the sangha area); Asian-style toilets.

WRITE IN ADVANCE? :
Not necessary. Expect crowded conditions during the Rains Retreat and when Phra Ajahn Yantra is in residence; it's a good idea to visit a month or more ahead of these times to arrange accommodation. Groups should write in advance any time.
:buddha1: