Has anyone ordered / seen in person Three Hands Buddha statues?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
philosopher

Has anyone ordered / seen in person Three Hands Buddha statues?

Post by philosopher »

They look nice in the photos, but I've had mixed luck with Overstock, and I imagine a statue would be pricey to return.

https://www.overstock.com/search?keywor ... ype=Header

I especially love the "pondering" Buddhas (is that what that posture is called?) in the top row.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Has anyone ordered / seen in person Three Hands Buddha statues?

Post by Sam Vara »

philosopher wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:19 am
I especially love the "pondering" Buddhas (is that what that posture is called?) in the top row.
There are figures in the same posture at our local monastery, placed on either side of the main buddha-rupa as if listening or attending. For this reason, I've always assumed (and I could be wrong - I never thought to ask!) that they represent the Buddha's disciples, rather the Buddha himself. Again, there are people on here who know more about this than I do. If they don't respond to this thread, you might want to ask a more general question before you order anything.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Vinaya of the Sarvastivadins apparently has a passage which is an injunction against The Tathagata's image making. In the passage, Anathapindika asks the Great Lord,” World honored one, if images of yours are not allowed to be made, pray, may we not at least make images of Bodhisattvas in attendance upon you?” The Buddha gives his assent to it.

Afak it is widely held that it is for this reason that there is no art depicting the Buddha for about 500 years after Parinibbana.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Holy Spit, they're expensive!
Don't do it!
samseva

Post by samseva »

You can find Buddha images in many other places, where they are almost 8x less expensive than the ones that are on that website (seriously, those are really expensive, and shipping isn't even included).

Just look around in hipster and spirituality-type stores. Go to a yoga studio and ask the teacher or students there. There are good places for sure; you just need to find them.
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:45 am
There are figures in the same posture at our local monastery, placed on either side of the main buddha-rupa as if listening or attending. For this reason, I've always assumed (and I could be wrong - I never thought to ask!) that they represent the Buddha's disciples, rather the Buddha himself. Again, there are people on here who know more about this than I do. If they don't respond to this thread, you might want to ask a more general question before you order anything.
That's really fascinating. Thank you for sharing that information. I wonder if the same is true of this one? https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/p ... g5045.html
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:58 am Holy Spit, they're expensive!
Don't do it!
I know... they seem overpriced.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

philosopher wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:18 am
That's really fascinating. Thank you for sharing that information. I wonder if the same is true of this one? https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/p ... g5045.html
That one is labelled as the Bodhisattva ("Buddha-to-be") so I guess it is not strictly the Buddha, for devotional purposes.

It occurred to me that my local Theravadan monastery gets given loads of Buddha-rupas, and they are happy to give these away to anyone who seems to be practising faithfully. Is there a monastery near you? It's worth asking them, given the price issue and shipping!
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Don't do it!

Yes, I agree. Similar statues can be found in the big DIY centres with outdoor gardening sections - and also in some of the PDSA charity shops in the UK, for less than that !

philosopher

Post by philosopher »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:05 am
philosopher wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:18 am

That one is labelled as the Bodhisattva ("Buddha-to-be") so I guess it is not strictly the Buddha, for devotional purposes.

It occurred to me that my local Theravadan monastery gets given loads of Buddha-rupas, and they are happy to give these away to anyone who seems to be practising faithfully. Is there a monastery near you? It's worth asking them, given the price issue and shipping!
This is a great idea - I will ask. Thanks!
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

Aloka wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:57 am
Don't do it!

Yes, I agree. Similar statues can be found in the big DIY centres with outdoor gardening sections - and also in some of the PDSA charity shops in the UK, for less than that !

Oooh, great idea! I will check out my local gardening stores. Re: charity shops, I think the Christian based one here in the USA (Salvation Army) doesn't sell Buddhist items, but I can try the others.

Really appreciate your response! :anjali:
cathpeti40

Post by cathpeti40 »

User1249x wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:15 am Vinaya of the Sarvastivadins apparently has a passage which is an injunction against The Tathagata's image making. In the passage, Anathapindika asks the Great Lord,” World honored one, if images of yours are not allowed to be made Douche plain-pied, pray, may we not at least make images of Bodhisattvas in attendance upon you?” The Buddha gives his assent to it.

Afak it is widely held that it is for this reason that there is no art depicting the Buddha for about 500 years after Parinibbana.
This is the first time I hear this story while I have been a Buddhist for quite some time.