SUPAṬIPANNO SĀVAKASAṄGHO | SAṄGHAṀ NAMĀMI

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
dylanj

SUPAṬIPANNO SĀVAKASAṄGHO | SAṄGHAṀ NAMĀMI

Post by dylanj »

“Endowed with these five qualities, a lay follower is an outcaste of a lay follower, a stain of a lay follower, a dregs of a lay follower. Which five? He does not have conviction (in the Buddha’s awakening); is unvirtuous; is eager for protective charms & ceremonies; trusts protective charms & ceremonies, not kamma; and searches for recipients of his/her offerings outside (of the Saṅgha), and gives offerings there first. Endowed with these five qualities, a lay follower is an outcaste of a lay follower, a stain of a lay follower, a dregs of a lay follower.

“Endowed with these five qualities, a lay follower is a jewel of a lay follower, a lotus of a lay follower, a fine flower of a lay follower. Which five? He has conviction; is virtuous; is not eager for protective charms & ceremonies; trusts kamma, not protective charms & ceremonies; does not search for recipients of his/her offerings outside (of the Saṅgha), and gives offerings here first. Endowed with these five qualities, a lay follower is a jewel of a lay follower, a lotus of a lay follower, a fine flower of a lay follower.”
The Outcaste
Caṇḍāla Sutta (AN 5:175)
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
dylanj

Re: SUPAṬIPANNO SĀVAKASAṄGHO | SAṄGHAṀ NAMĀMI

Post by dylanj »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:13 am
dylanj wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:10 am can't we discuss the sutta?
You start. :popcorn:
Okay.

Well, I think this sutta is very relevant to this forum. It provides a clear distinction between two types of lay people & can easily be used for self-analysis, here & now. It is directly applicable. Everyone who reads it should check for the presence or lack of these qualities in themselves. I think I embody the latter type of lay follower except my virtue is not perfect & I think I still need to further train myself to give to the saṅgha first.
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss