Is there are really complete chanting book in english?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
khemindas

Is there are really complete chanting book in english?

Post by khemindas »

While I searched a lot in internet, I can't find really complete chanting book, where everything, including all parittas, offerings, evening and morning chants, reflections, blessings, requests e.t.c and complete patimokkha text together, what I mean is same as standart Thai monpitee (มนต์พิธี) with this cover
http://fb1-cr.lnwfile.com/_/cr/_raw/rd/ce/x5.jpg , nowadays most developed english chantings are: a bhikkhu manual by Bhukkhu Ariyesako and Bhukkhu Nirodho(Australia), and a chanting guide by dhammayut order of U.S.A, but in fact they are not complete. So may be it is time to combine thai,sri lankan and Myanmar most widespread standartized chanting books, which includes everything from standart and most widespread chanting books of those countries into one new english chanting book?
Idappaccayata

Re: Is there are really complete chanting book in english?

Post by Idappaccayata »

Did you check the chanting book available from dhammatalks.org? I think it was recently updated and is much bigger now
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Fwiw, good book is Catu-Bhanavara it has ie full Atanatiya Paritta with pali and english.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Yes, thank you Idappaccayata, Wat Metta's chanting book is massive and is newly updated:
The Chanting Guide: Pāli Passages with English Translations has been revised and expanded. It’s now available in ebook formats and can be read online as well. The chanting page also has links that allow for streaming the audio and reading along on the same page.

Contents

Titlepage
Table of Contents
Cover
Copyright
Pronunciation
Vowels
Consonants
Scanning
Chanting Styles
Morning Chanting
Dedication
Praise for the Buddha
Praise for the Dhamma
Praise for the Saṅgha
Salutation to the Triple Gem & The Topics for Chastened Dispassion
Reflection at the Moment of Using the Requisites
Evening Chanting
Dedication
A Guide to the Recollection of the Buddha
Verses in Celebration of the Buddha
A Guide to the Recollection of the Dhamma
Verses in Celebration of the Dhamma
A Guide to the Recollection of the Saṅgha
Verses in Celebration of the Saṅgha
Reflection after Using the Requisites
Reflections
Contemplation of the Body
Five Subjects for Frequent Recollection
The Verses on Friends
The Verses on Respect
The Verses on the Noble Truths
The Guardian Meditations
Ten Reflections
The Four Dhamma Summaries
Ovāda-pāṭimokkha Gāthā
The Sublime Attitudes
Sabba-patti-dāna Gāthā | Verses for Dedication of Merit
Devatādipattidāna Gāthā | Dedication of Merit to the Devas & Others
Uddissanādhiṭṭhāna Gāthā | Verses for Dedicating Merit
Ākāsaṭṭhā ca bhummaṭṭhā
Refuge
Buddhaṁ saraṇaṁ gacchāmi.
N’atthi me saraṇaṁ aññaṁ
Mahā-kāruṇiko nātho
Bahuṁ ve saraṇaṁ yanti
Discourses
Dhamma-cakkappavattana Sutta | The Discourse on Setting the Wheel of Dhamma in Motion
Anatta-lakkhaṇa Sutta | The Discourse on the Not-self Characteristic
Āditta-pariyāya Sutta | The Fire Discourse
Mahā-samaya Sutta | The Great Meeting
Magga-vibhaṅga Sutta | An Analysis of the Path
Aṭṭh’aṅgika-magga Gāthā | Verses on the Eightfold Path
Satipaṭṭhāna Pāṭha | Passage on the Establishing of Mindfulness
Ariyavaṁsika Sutta | Traditions of the Noble Ones
Sārāṇīya-dhamma Sutta | Conditions for Amiability
Bhikkhu-aparihāniya-dhamma Sutta | The Causes of Non-decline for Monks
Gotamī Sutta | The Discourse to Gotamī
Dhajagga Sutta | The Top of the Standard
Girimānanda Sutta | To Girimānanda
Dhamma-niyāma Sutta | The Orderliness of the Dhamma
Dhamma Synopses
Ovāda-pāṭimokkh’ādi Pāṭha | Passage on the Ovāda-pāṭimokkha, etc.
Dhamma-gārav’ādi Gāthā | Verses on Respect for the Dhamma, etc.
Merit for the Deceased
Paṭicca Samuppāda | Dependent Co-arising
Heedfulness
The Three Inspired Verses
The House Builder
The Mountain
Noble Wealth
An Auspicious Day
The Three Characteristics
Bhāra-sutta Gāthā | Verses from the Discourses on the Burden
Dhammasaṅgaṇī Mātikā Pāṭha | The List from the Dhamma Groupings
The Council Chant
Vinaya | Discipline
Sutta | Discourses
Abhidhamma | Higher Dhamma
Dhamma-saṅgaṇī | Classification of Qualities
Vibhaṅga | Analysis
Dhātu-kathā | Dicussion of Properties
Puggala-paññatti | Designation of Individuals
Kathā-vatthu | Debate Topics
Yamaka | Pairs
Mahāpaṭṭhāna | Great Causal Principles
Blessings
An Invitation to the Devas
Namakāra-siddhi Gāthā | Verses on Success through Homage
Sambuddhe | The Buddhas
Namo-kāra-aṭṭhakaṁ | The Homage Octet
Maṅgala Sutta | The Discourse on Blessings
Cha Ratana Paritta Gāthā | The Six Protective Verses from the Discourse on Treasures
Karaṇīya Mettā Sutta | The Discourse on Goodwill
Khandha Paritta | The Group Protection
Mora Paritta | The Peacock’s Protection
Vaṭṭaka Paritta | The Baby Quail’s Protection
Dhajagga Paritta | The Top-of-the-Banner-Staff Protection
Āṭānāṭiya Paritta | Homage to the Seven Past Buddhas
Aṅgulimāla Paritta | Ven. Angulimala’s Protection
Bojjhaṅga Paritta | The Factor-for-Awakening Protection
Buddha-jaya-maṅgala Gāthā | The Verses of the Buddha’s Victory Blessings
Jaya Paritta | The Victory Protection
Abhaya Paritta | The Danger-free Protection
Devatāyuyyojana Gāthā | Verses Ushering the Devas Back Home
Bhavatu sabba-maṅgalaṁ
Formal Requests
Taking the Five Precepts
Taking the Eight Precepts
Ordination for an Eight-Precept Nun
Requesting a Discourse
Requesting Blessings
Requesting Forgiveness
Formal Offerings
Food
General Items (after noon)
“Forest Cloth”
Declaration for a Gift to the Bhikkhu Saṅgha
Lodgings
Kaṭhina Cloth
Rains Bathing Cloth
Rains-residence Candle
Homage
Visākha Pūjā
Āsāḷha Pūjā
Māgha Pūjā
Veneration
The Buddha’s Last Words
After the Pāṭimokkha
Sīluddesa-pāṭha | The Virtue Summary
Tāyana-gāthā | The Verse to Tāyana
Anumodanā
Yathā vārivahā pūrā
II. Aggato ve pasannānaṁ
III. Āyudo balado dhīro
IV. Āyuṁ vaṇṇaṁ yasaṁ kittiṁ
V. Bhuttā bhogā bhaṭā bhaccā
VI. Dānañ-ca peyya-vajjañ-ca
VII. Kāle dadanti sapaññā
VIII. Ratanattayānubhāvena
IX. Sabba-buddhānubhāvena
X. So attha-laddho sukhito
XI. Yasmiṁ padese kappeti
XII. Bhavatu sabba-maṅgalaṁ
Vihāra-dāna Gāthā | Verses on Giving a Dwelling
Nidhi-kaṇḍa-sutta Gāthā | Verses from the Discourse on the Reserve Fund
Tiro-kuḍḍa-kaṇḍa-sutta Gāthā | Hungry Shades Outside the Walls
Mahā-maṅgala-cakkavāḷa | The Great Universe of Blessings
Jinapañjara Gāthā | The Victor’s Cage
Meditation
Breath Meditation: Seven Steps
MahāParinibbāna Sutta Excerpt
table of contents
https://www.dhammatalks.org/books/Chant ... n0000.html

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Many thanks for the 'complete' Pali chanting website. It is very useful indeed.

It seems the style, sound of the Pali chanting are different between Thailand, Sri Lanka, and Myanmar. Can the monks of different traditions present Pali chanting together without any conflict?

I guess Thailand and Laos are similar style, sound for the Pali chanting.

Thomas
Dali348

Post by Dali348 »

The Amaravati website has their chanting books for download, which are very nice:

https://www.amaravati.org/book-authors/ ... angha/[url][/url]
3 - Triple Gem - TISARANA
4 - Noble Truths - ARIYA SACCA
8 - Noble Path - ARIYA MAGGA
*Middle Path - MAJJHIMA PATIPADA
Study, Practice, Realize - PARIYATTI, PATIPATTI, PATIVEDHA
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

While the book at dhammatalks.org is very good (it was useful to have the epub on my phone for New Year's eve chanting of the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta), there are some bits and pieces missing that are commonly used at my Thai Monastery (and there is some Nikaya variation).

Certainly, the chanting styles in Thailand, Myanmar, and Sri Lanka are rather different. Even within Thailand you'll find some large variations in style (and quality!). My experience is that it's not so hard, by careful listening, to adapt oneself to other groups (and our local Sri Lankan and Thai monks occasionally chant together - but it has to be clear who is leading!). I'm most familiar with my Monastery's particular Thai style (which is good compared to some chanting I've heard in small Wats in Thailand...). The Amaravati recordings (and Western Ajahn Chah monks in general) have a slightly different style, but one clearly based on Thai style, as one would expect. [To me it sounds much more formal - our Thai chanting has more "swing" to the rhythm - there appears to be a conscious adoption of certain aspects of medieval European chanting styles]. The Sri Lankan style is much more musical, and takes a bit of getting used to, for me, but is very pleasent. I've not seriously listened to Burmese style.

:heart:
Mike
Volo

Post by Volo »

I personally don't like Thai style. First it's (for me) very difficult to understand, what are they chanting even if I'm familiar with the text: the words are split in the syllables, which pronounced without pause between words, and are serious deformed by their pronunciation (bha becomes pha, gha=>kha, etc). Although Wat Nanachat is much better. Secondly, it's difficult to learn. I've tried several times, but still don't know how to chant properly Thai style. It's also seems difficult to chant alone because of continuous chanting it's difficult to catch a breath.

Burmese style is fairly easy to reproduce (although they also have native pronunciation of some sounds, especially a often becomes e). Moreover, each Sayadaw is free to develop his own style of chanting, with which it is easier for him to remember suttas.

When I chant something I don't try to imitate any particular style, I just chant the way it feels natural.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I think it's just whatever you are used to. And, as I said, different groups have variable pronunciation. The monks I'm familiar with are much more precise than some I've experience...

I've only seriously chanted with groups, and mostly Thai or Thai-influenced. I've never had much inclination to chant alone, so my education in chanting consists of listening and fitting in (For that reason I dislike being in a group chanting to a recording. There is a beautiful adaption process in live chanting).

In my experience, the continuous style you refer to is only used for suttas (and, I understand, not by all groups) and not for things like the morning and evening chants and various other verses and blessings. Actually, I don't have much experience chanting whole suttas. We do the Dhammacakka sutta at New Year, and that's about the limit of my experience of that... My main experience is the Thai morning and evening chants, supplemented by various other passages, when on retreat at the local Wat. The morning chant, in particular, is a valuable learning experience as it quotes a lot of key terminology from the likes of the Dhammacakka and Anatta-lakkhana Suttas, without having to go through the whole of the suttas! Actually, they do cycle through the first few discourses after the evening chants, but I'm usually not quite organised enough to have the right text ready.

:heart:
Mike
bhante dhamma

Post by bhante dhamma »

The continuous chanting style is called 'samyot' in Thai and 'gaṇa-sajjhāyana' in singhala, its the opposite of the typical Thammayut style which is more stop start, I agree there isn't as of yet a really complete chanting book in English, which is well partly because all communities have a slightly different liturgy, and so there isn't a universal list of all the things you have to know to have an ultimate chanting guide/book but more or less most places you go you hear..the Mangala, ratana girimananda suttas etc etc, I wish one day to live long enough in one place with people with enough sati-pañña to be able to have a good crack at the 'sara-bhañña/recitation' thing it's actually quite a good way to get some samādhi going and just a nice thing to do as a dhammic activity in a wat.