Shakyamuni or Amitabha Buddha

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Adam120

Shakyamuni or Amitabha Buddha

Post by Adam120 »

Hello kind souls,

I am about to build my own personal altar and I found an affordable Buddha statue that fits the dimensions I need, but the problem is, I don't know if the Buddha is either Shakyamuni or Amitabha.

The robes point to Shakyamuni, but I heard that holding a bowl or a ball refers to Amitabha so I am a bit confused. And another thing is, it's said that statues with Karana Mudra shouldn't be situated in bedroom (that is indeed the place I want my altar to be in since I live in a relatively small house).

Since it is an altar for meditations, offerings and everything around it, I seek Shakyamuni statue.

(Hope it's not a problem to send a link to the picture of The Buddha here and if it is, I apologize.)

https://www.pekny-domov-shop.cz/fotky17 ... 7d22bc.jpg

Thank you for your replies.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Shakyamuni or Amitabha Buddha

Post by DNS »

The robe has only one shoulder covered, so it appears to be Buddha. Usually Mahayana statues of Amitabha, Medicine Buddha, etc have both shoulders covered. I read somewhere that both shoulders covered means they seek their own enlightenment and also that of others (according to Mahayana).
Adam120

Re: Shakyamuni or Amitabha Buddha

Post by Adam120 »

Thank you very much.
I suppose the most important thing is, if the statue resonates with one's mind and brings forth the teachings when seeing it.
For me as soon as I saw this very statue, something told me it's the right one, the one I can really relate to.

And for the placement in my bedroom, it comes down to the pure intentions and thoughts that drive us to make the altar no matter wherer it is, right? As the teachings say, the thought without ill intentions is what matters the most.

Once again, thank you for the response.
Have a great day.