Thailand Trip- Seeking Advice

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Maitri

Thailand Trip- Seeking Advice

Post by Maitri »

I will be traveling to Thailand this year in November and plan to divide my trip between Bangkok and Chiang Mai for a total of 13 days (with a side trip to Ayutthaya). I'd like to stay longer, but I have to get back to my job. :thinking:

I plan on hitting up the major sites and Wats while in both towns. Does anyone have any favorite places to stay, eat, or recommendations of temples to visit? My hope was to stay for at least one or two days at a temple for meditation practice and a tiny retreat. Not sure that is possible, but here is to hoping.
I would like to purchase some Dhamma items (Buddha statues, Buddha amulets, Suttas) as well, but I've heard mixed reports that they can be difficult to take out of the country. I would also like to provide dana to the bhikkhus each morning if I can, and wasn't sure if I can just offer what I have or if there is any particular protocol to observe (aside from gender guidelines and touching).

My plans are not yet set aside from the three locations listed above. Any feedback or ideas would be great. :anjali:
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
bhante dhamma

Re: Thailand Trip- Seeking Advice

Post by bhante dhamma »

Hi sister,
Regarding places to do a retreat i suggest googling 'dhamma teaching in english chiang mai' or just 'english dhamma teaching thailand' and see how that goes...depending on where you end up, doing 'dana' could mean offering alms say in the morning if there are monks on 'pindabat' or you could go in the afternoon and offer drinks and other requisites, the key to dana is satisfaction..'mānapādayī labhate mānāpanti' the giver of the aggreable gains the aggreable

A.N 7 sapurissa dāna...giving gifts that are pure..excellent..right time..after investigation..etc

Hope it was of some help
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

Maitri wrote:I will be traveling to Thailand this year in November and plan to divide my trip between Bangkok and Chiang Mai for a total of 13 days (with a side trip to Ayutthaya). I'd like to stay longer, but I have to get back to my job. :thinking:

I plan on hitting up the major sites and Wats while in both towns. Does anyone have any favorite places to stay, eat, or recommendations of temples to visit? My hope was to stay for at least one or two days at a temple for meditation practice and a tiny retreat. Not sure that is possible, but here is to hoping.
I would like to purchase some Dhamma items (Buddha statues, Buddha amulets, Suttas) as well, but I've heard mixed reports that they can be difficult to take out of the country. I would also like to provide dana to the bhikkhus each morning if I can, and wasn't sure if I can just offer what I have or if there is any particular protocol to observe (aside from gender guidelines and touching).

My plans are not yet set aside from the three locations listed above. Any feedback or ideas would be great. :anjali:
All I can say is you seem like an absolutely wonderful person :)

Practice, Practice, Practice

Maitri

Post by Maitri »

CedarTree wrote:
Maitri wrote:I will be traveling to Thailand this year in November and plan to divide my trip between Bangkok and Chiang Mai for a total of 13 days (with a side trip to Ayutthaya). I'd like to stay longer, but I have to get back to my job. :thinking:

All I can say is you seem like an absolutely wonderful person :)
Aw, shucks. :toast:
As a normal working person, I wish I had months to bum around and do retreats but as I have limited time I'm always looking for good travel tips. I wish I could make it to Bodhgaya again, but I think that will take up too much travel time. It's a rare chance to visit a Buddhist country.
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

Maitri

Post by Maitri »

bhante dhamma wrote:Hi sister,
Regarding places to do a retreat i suggest googling 'dhamma teaching in english chiang mai' or just 'english dhamma teaching thailand' and see how that goes...depending on where you end up, doing 'dana' could mean offering alms say in the morning if there are monks on 'pindabat' or you could go in the afternoon and offer drinks and other requisites, the key to dana is satisfaction..'mānapādayī labhate mānāpanti' the giver of the aggreable gains the aggreable

A.N 7 sapurissa dāna...giving gifts that are pure..excellent..right time..after investigation..etc

Hope it was of some help
:anjali:
Hello Bhante,
Yes, there are a few temples I hope to visit which are less "touristy" and more orientated towards practice and prayer. I will look at Chiang Mai as I may have better luck than in Bangkok.

I have offered alms before, but in the U.S. it's always been in the context of being at a temple or festival setting. It will be wonderful to see monastics out on alms round and to make offerings. It's my intention to offer alms as it's a genuine delight to experience it in a Buddhist context.