I want to buy a good Buddha statue

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Stephen18

I want to buy a good Buddha statue

Post by Stephen18 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:04 pm

I already have 4 Buddharupas, but they are rather cheap. I am looking for a really beautiful 30cm+ tall Buddha statue, Theravada style (Thai/Sri Lankan/Burmese preferably). Price can be up to £150. I've looked at Ebay, but none of them were to my satisfaction.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
I am an eclectic Buddhist following all schools of Buddhism except the controversial ones.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: I want to buy a good Buddha statue

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:03 pm

How about this one?

My First Buddha :D ?

30 cms high but only £25, light, and not easily damaged.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Stephen18

Post by Stephen18 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:How about this one?

My First Buddha :D ?

30 cms high but only £25, light, and not easily damaged.
I like it!
I am an eclectic Buddhist following all schools of Buddhism except the controversial ones.

katavedi

Post by katavedi » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:07 pm

Hello Sumana,
Upasaka Sumana wrote:I already have 4 Buddharupas, but they are rather cheap. I am looking for a really beautiful 30cm+ tall Buddha statue, Theravada style (Thai/Sri Lankan/Burmese preferably). Price can be up to £150. I've looked at Ebay, but none of them were to my satisfaction.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
This is the one I have. I liked the countenance better than others I looked at. They have many more here.

Dharmacrafts has some nice ones too.

Kind wishes,
katavedi
“But, Gotamī, when you know of certain things: ‘These things lead to dispassion, not to passion; to detachment, not to attachment; to diminution, not to accumulation; to having few wishes, not to having many wishes; to contentment, not to discontent; to seclusion, not to socializing; to the arousing of energy, not to indolence; to simple living, not to luxurious living’ – of such things you can be certain: ‘This is the Dhamma; this is the Discipline; this is the Master’s Teaching.’”

Stephen18

Post by Stephen18 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:12 pm

Thanks, Katavedi! These statues look much better than the ones on Amazon and Ebay, which is why I asked here.

samseva

Post by samseva » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:18 pm

Look around in spirituality-type shops in your city. You'll maybe come up with really good finds. Most importantly, you'll be able to actually see the real height and size of the Buddha-rūpa, as well as its material, colour, quality of fabrication and so on. These aren't really things you can determine by looking at an image on a website, and you might be (or rather probably will be) surprised/disappointed once you receive it (return shipping for a large statue is probably not worth returning it as well).

Stephen18

Post by Stephen18 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:22 pm

samseva wrote:Look around in spirituality-type shops in your city. You'll maybe come up with really good finds. Most importantly, you'll be able to actually see the real height and size of the Buddha-rūpa, as well as its material, colour, quality of fabrication and so on. These aren't really things you can determine by looking at an image on a website, and you might be (or rather probably will be) surprised/disappointed once you receive it (return shipping for a large statue is probably not worth returning it as well).
Good advice. Thanks.

Maitri

Post by Maitri » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:50 am

I like Dharma Sculpture, they have a nice variety of images with a wide range of prices : http://www.dharmasculpture.com/category ... ddhas.html
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/

Stephen18

Post by Stephen18 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:44 pm

Maitri wrote:I like Dharma Sculpture, they have a nice variety of images with a wide range of prices : http://www.dharmasculpture.com/category ... ddhas.html
Thank you, Maitri! They're beautiful.

_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:42 pm

MikeNZ posted this on a thread a while back, and I am thinking about purchasing it.

https://www.amazon.com/Woodland-Imports ... d_sim_hg_3

What Buddha statue are you leaning towards?

I'm on the hunt for a statue of the Buddha as well! :buddha1:
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:34 pm

Does anybody have a link to a purchasable Buddharupa/bhikkhu statue with shaved head?

Stephen18

Post by Stephen18 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:56 pm

_anicca_ wrote:MikeNZ posted this on a thread a while back, and I am thinking about purchasing it.

I just bought it! (The one in your link) Should be here by 19 August. Thanks, anicca!

_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:31 pm

Upasaka Sumana wrote:
_anicca_ wrote:MikeNZ posted this on a thread a while back, and I am thinking about purchasing it.

I just bought it! (The one in your link) Should be here by 19 August. Thanks, anicca!
No problem!

I think I will buy it today as well :) This statue really does inspire me in my practice as well as instilling the positive qualities of the Buddha.

I'm glad to have helped.

"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:54 am

anicca, I cannot reply to your message.
(Something isn't allowing.)

_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:20 pm

cappuccino wrote:anicca, I cannot reply to your message.
(Something isn't allowing.)
I just saw this!

Thank you for responding to me.

That is very strange. Hmm - do you have any other means of communication?