Lord Avebury, RIP

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Dhammanando

Lord Avebury, RIP

Post by Dhammanando »

The 4th Baron Avebury, patron of the Angulimala Buddhist Prison Chaplaincy and lone Buddhist peer in the House of Lords, passed away yesterday.
Avebury3.jpg
Avebury3.jpg (50.13 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
Avebury quietly converted to Theravada Buddhism in the 1970s. He showed his first public sign of self-denial in 1981 when, now a teetotaller, he delivered an attack on drinking by politicians which prompted anger in the Commons, particularly over a claim that Churchill was “paralytically drunk” for much of the war.

Then, in 1987, he delighted the tabloids by announcing he would leave his body to the Battersea Dogs Home in protest at the cost and environmental impact of cremation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... tuary.html
Wikipedia entry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Lubb ... on_Avebury

Last blog entry, 11 February, relating his meeting with Ajahn Khemadhammo:
At home with family

I met with Bhante from Forest Hermitage on Sunday after his visit with Lyulph and Sue to the graveyard near Orpington. Bhante told me when he arrived at Flodden Road that he considered the graveyard suitable and we agreed that a small family interment ceremony would be held there as soon after my death as convenient. The family thought a memorial event would be nice at a later date.

Two visits to King's this week (Monday and Tuesday) to have a unit of blood each time and on Tuesday, a unit of magnesium. It was exhausting.

Kina came to see me yesterday and she has kindly agreed to source some acrylic paints for little Kohee who gave me her wonderful painting of the stone circle at Avebury. I also saw Emilda from St Christopher's and our GP, Dr Davies.
Lyulph and Sue are coming this afternoon and Victoria has been staying here since Monday.

http://www.ericavebury.blogspot.com/
Avebury 2.jpg
Avebury 2.jpg (88.55 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
Avebury4.jpg
Avebury4.jpg (67.61 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
Avebury.jpg
Avebury.jpg (495.07 KiB) Viewed 4473 times

:candle:
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Ben

Re: Lord Avebury, RIP

Post by Ben »

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Dhammanando wrote:The 4th Baron Avebury, patron of the Angulimala Buddhist Prison Chaplaincy and lone Buddhist peer in the House of Lords, passed away yesterday.
Thank you for this. I had heard of this gentleman. It is good to know there are good people out there.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Thisperson

Post by Thisperson »

cooran

Post by cooran »

---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
ryanM

Post by ryanM »

From an interview I was just able to watch, he seems like he was a very kind person.

:candle: :anjali:
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
The Thinker

Post by The Thinker »

"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth
Pumo

Post by Pumo »

It seems he was a nice and good person, I hope he to have a fortunate rebirth.
'may all beings be happy at heart.' - Karaniya Metta Sutta :buddha1:
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

What an interesting and admirable life he lived. Yes, may his rebirth earned be a fortunate one. Too few people like him on this planet.