I'm starting this thread to post information and discuss about various ancient Buddhist sites from all over the world and to learn about the history,art,culture etc. associated with these places.
Downloadable informative & travel books from Indian Government's Tourism Department about famous Buddhist centers in ancient India:
To download : Right click and select Save Link As
Walking with the Buddha - Part 1
Walking with the Buddha - Part 2
Walking with the Buddha - Part 3
Some ancient sites from Southern India - Mauryan period onwards
Recently a member posted info. about the different shapes of holy Stupas in Sri Lanka.
- Bubble shaped (Bubbulaakara)
- Paddy heap (Dhaanyaakara)
- Bell shaped (Ghantaakara)
- Pot shaped (Ghataakara)
- Lotus shaped (Padmaakara)
A selection of shapes from Sri Lanka.
https://roar.lk/srilanka-life/five-main ... an-stupas/
Another way of classifying from Wiki:
Types of stupas
Built for a variety of reasons, Buddhist stupas are classified based on form and function into five types:
- Relic stupa, in which the relics or remains of the Buddha, his disciples, and lay saints are interred.
- Object stupa, in which the items interred are objects belonged to the Buddha or his disciples, such as a begging bowl or robe, or important Buddhist scriptures.
- Commemorative stupa, built to commemorate events in the lives of Buddha or his disciples.
- Symbolic stupa, to symbolize aspects of Buddhist theology.
- Votive stupa, constructed to commemorate visits or to gain spiritual benefits, usually at the site of prominent stupas which are regularly visited.