Snp 5.8 Hemaka-manava-puccha

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Snp 5.8 PTS: Sn 1084-1087
Hemaka-manava-puccha: Hemaka's Question
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[Hemaka:]
In the past, before hearing Gotama's teaching, when anyone explained 'It was,' 'It will be,' all that was hearsay, quoted words. All that promoted conjecture and gave me no pleasure. Now, sage, teach me the Dhamma demolishing craving, knowing which, living mindfully, one would cross over beyond entanglement in the world.

[The Buddha:]
Here, Hemaka, with regard to things that are dear — seen, heard, sensed, & cognized — there is: the dispelling of passion & desire, the undying state of Unbinding. Those knowing this, mindful, fully unbound in the here & now, are forever calmed, have crossed over beyond entanglement in the world.
mikenz66

Re: Snp 5.8 Hemaka-manava-puccha

Post by mikenz66 »

The Young Man Hemaka's Questions

Anandajoti Bhikkhu

http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/T ... avaggo.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Listen at: http://www.archive.org/details/The-Way-to-the-Beyond" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those who explained (things) to me in the past, said venerable Hemaka,
before Gotama's teaching,
saying `it was so, and so it will be', all that was just hearsay,
all that just increased my thoughts, and I did not delight therein.

You must explain the Teaching to me, O Sage, and the destruction of craving,which, having understood, and living mindfully, one can cross over clinging to the world.

In regard to likeable forms here seen, heard, sensed, and cognized, Hemaka,
the dispelling of desire and passion (for them) - this is the undying Nibbàna.

Knowing this, those who are mindful, who are Emancipated [1] in this very life,
those who are always peaceful, have crossed over clinging to the world.

Note

[1] Abhinibbutà.
Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

This one is very important. A lot of people seem to delight in speculation. From what I have noticed, this just creates more speculation.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi WITF,

Certainly speculation is a problem, but it seems to me that it is incorrect information from the other sages that is the key complaint from Hemaka:
... all that was just hearsay ...
The Buddha gives (presumably - we'll have to find out...) the correct version of how things will be:
Those knowing this, mindful, fully unbound in the here & now, are forever calmed, ...
:anjali:
Mike
Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

No doubt about that, and also the references to how the Buddha untangles Samsara with his teachings and how they are unbinding and freeing. This is a crucial difference. With the other teachers there arose doubt and questioning, and with the Buddha's teaching the speculation didn't arise.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

I can't help but read this as beautiful prose. I'm sure I could appreciate this sutta in better ways, but there you go :tongue: Some serious samvejaniyani going on there, I might read this one before my sit today.