The Buddha's Teachings on Social and Communal Harmony. III. Dealing with Anger.

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
phil

Re: The Buddha's Teachings on Social and Communal Harmony. III. Dealing with Anger.

Post by phil »

I keep coming back to this discourse

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

It describes the person ( modes of practice) who is tolerant and doesn't respond in an unwholesome way when insulted/scolded etc, and she/he who isn't tolerant.

But it doesn't stop there like the teaching on letters written in water, or the mind like a diamond. It also describes the two modes of practice that condition tolerance or intolerance. ( this causal link is implied pretty clearly rather than laid out. ) One wholesome practice is akin to the first right effort (like guarding the sense doors) and the other is like the second right effort, obliterating etc the unwholesome states that have arisen.

I think a busy householder like myself could have a full practice aspiring to live in line with what is laid out in this discourse. But one wants to go deeper and neglects the diligent practice of guarding and taming the mind.

Edit - no it's not that one wants to go deeper, it's that the deliements are so deeply rooted and powerful and the mind soon gets swept away.
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)