AN 2.18 Adhikaraṇa Sutta 8. Categorically.

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

http://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/AN/AN2_18.html

Then Ven. Ānanda went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As he was sitting there, the Blessed One said to him, “I say categorically, Ānanda, that bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, & mental misconduct should not be done.”
“Given that the Blessed One has declared, lord, that bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, & mental misconduct should not be done, what drawbacks can one expect when doing what should not be done?”

“Given that I have declared, Ānanda, that bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, & mental misconduct should not be done, these are the drawbacks one can expect when doing what should not be done: One can fault oneself; observant people, on close examination, criticize one; one’s bad reputation gets spread about; one dies confused; and—on the break-up of the body, after death—one reappears in a plane of deprivation, a bad destination, a lower realm, hell. Given that I have declared, Ānanda, that bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, & mental misconduct should not be done, these are the drawbacks one can expect when doing what should not be done.
“I say categorically, Ānanda, that good bodily conduct, good verbal conduct, & good mental conduct should be done.”

“Given that the Blessed One has declared, lord, that good bodily conduct, good verbal conduct, & good mental conduct should be done, what rewards can one expect when doing what should be done?”

“Given that I have declared, Ānanda, that good bodily conduct, good verbal conduct, & good mental conduct should be done, these are the rewards one can expect when doing what should be done: One doesn’t fault oneself; observant people, on close examination, praise one; one’s good reputation gets spread about; one dies unconfused; and—on the break-up of the body, after death—one reappears in a good destination, a heavenly world. Given that I have declared, Ānanda, that good bodily conduct, good verbal conduct, & good mental conduct should be done, these are the rewards one can expect when doing what should be done.”

See also: DN 9 ; AN 11:15
mikenz66

Re: AN 2.18 Adhikaraṇa Sutta 8. Categorically.

Post by mikenz66 »

Apologies for the gap between Sutta Study postings.

Note that with this sutta we begin the suttas listed by Bhikkhu Bodhi under "Heaven and Hell".

Note, also that I have given a link to Thanissaro Bhikkhu's translation on http://www.dhammatalks.org/. The translations there are being corrected and added to, whereas Access to Insight is now static.

:heart:
Mike
phil

Post by phil »

Hi Mike, all

I like the firmness of catetgorically. No ifs and buts. And Bhikkhu Bodhi uses "definitively", also helpful.

Could someone provide the Pali for that word? Thanks.
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

phil wrote:Could someone provide the Pali for that word? Thanks.
"Ekaṃsena", which is "ekaṃsa" in the instrumental case.
Ekaṃsa [eka + aṃsa1 or better aṃsa2] 'one part or point', i. e. one-pointedness, definiteness; affirmation, certainty, absoluteness D i.153; A ii.46; Sn 427, 1027; J iii.224 (ekaṃsatthe nipāto for 'nūna'); SnA 414 (°vacana for 'taggha'). — Opp. an° Miln 225. — instr. ekaṃsena as adv. for certain, absolutely, definitely, inevitably D i.122, 161, 162; M i.393; S iv.326; A v.190; J i.150; iii. 224; PvA 11. (PED)
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
phil

Post by phil »

Dhammanando wrote:
phil wrote:Could someone provide the Pali for that word? Thanks.
"Ekaṃsena", which is "ekaṃsa" in the instrumental case.
Ekaṃsa [eka + aṃsa1 or better aṃsa2] 'one part or point', i. e. one-pointedness, definiteness; affirmation, certainty, absoluteness D i.153; A ii.46; Sn 427, 1027; J iii.224 (ekaṃsatthe nipāto for 'nūna'); SnA 414 (°vacana for 'taggha'). — Opp. an° Miln 225. — instr. ekaṃsena as adv. for certain, absolutely, definitely, inevitably D i.122, 161, 162; M i.393; S iv.326; A v.190; J i.150; iii. 224; PvA 11. (PED)
Thank you Bhante. Can we relate this to any particular cetasika at work in the moment of taking a wholesome route of behaviour by body, speech or mind or would it apply to all the cetasikas that accompany a moment of kusala?

Or, since this is referring to the Buddha's decisiveness, is it irrelevant to us except as a general encouragement.?
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)