mikenz66

AN 10.81 Bahuna Sutta: To Bahuna

Post by mikenz66 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:09 am

AN 10.81 PTS: A v 151
Bahuna Sutta: To Bahuna
translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

Of what is an Awakened being freed?
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying in Campa, on the shore of Gaggara Lake. Then Ven. Bahuna went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One: "Lord, freed, dissociated, & released from how many things does the Tathagata dwell with unrestricted awareness?"

"Freed, dissociated, & released from ten things, Bahuna, the Tathagata dwells with unrestricted awareness. Which ten? Freed, dissociated, & released from form, the Tathagata dwells with unrestricted awareness. Freed, dissociated, & released from feeling... Freed, dissociated, & released from perception... Freed, dissociated, & released from fabrications... Freed, dissociated, & released from consciousness... Freed, dissociated, & released from birth... Freed, dissociated, & released from aging... Freed, dissociated, & released from death... Freed, dissociated, & released from stress... Freed, dissociated, & released from defilement, the Tathagata dwells with unrestricted awareness.

"Just as a red, blue, or white lotus born in the water and growing in the water, rises up above the water and stands with no water adhering to it, in the same way the Tathagata — freed, dissociated, & released from these ten things — dwells with unrestricted awareness."

Spiny Norman

Re: AN 10.81 Bahuna Sutta: To Bahuna

Post by Spiny Norman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:29 am

It's a really nice sutta. The reference to freedom is somewhat reminiscent of that phrase from Ud 5.5: "Just as the great ocean has one taste, the taste of salt, so also this Dhamma and Discipline has one taste, the taste of liberation."

Do we know what "unrestricted awareness" means here?
"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:37 am

Bhikkhu Bodhi translates it as "a mind free from boundaries".

The Pali is here: http://suttacentral.net/pi/an10.81

:anjali:
Mike

culaavuso

Post by culaavuso » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:49 pm

mikenz66 wrote:Bhikkhu Bodhi translates it as "a mind free from boundaries".
It seems the text is
AN 10.81 wrote: vimariyā­dī­ka­tena cetasā viharati

dwells with unrestricted awareness (Ven. Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu)
cetasā appears to be the instrumental of citta.

vimariyā­dī­ka­tena appears to be the instrumental of vimariyādikata, which in turn is a compound of vi + mariyādā + kata.

It seems that "dwells with a mind (citta) free from boundaries" is a fairly direct translation from the Pāḷi, other than the usual English confusion about the meaning of "mind".

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:16 am

culaavuso wrote: It seems that "dwells with a mind (citta) free from boundaries" is a fairly direct translation from the Pāḷi, other than the usual English confusion about the meaning of "mind".
That's interesting. It reminds me of "Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha" for some reason.
"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

starter

Post by starter » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:00 am

Greetings!

AN 10.81:
"Freed, dissociated, and released from ten things, Bahuna, the Tathagata dwells with an unbound (boundless) mind*. Which ten? Freed, dissociated, and released from form, the Tathagata dwells with an unbound mind. Freed, dissociated, and released from feeling... from perception... from volitions... from consciousness... from birth... from aging... from death... from suffering... Freed, dissociated, and released from defilement, the Tathagata dwells with an unbound mind.

Just as a red, blue, or white lotus born in the water and growing in the water, rises up above the water and stands with no water adhering to it, in the same way the Tathagata — freed, dissociated, and released from these ten things — dwells with unbound mind."

*Freed from barriers of defilements (not bound/restricted by defilements), and also from the five aggregates including consciousness. When the Buddha dwelled in the phase of cessation of perception and feeling, the five aggregates all temporarily “disappeared”, that's why he could be free from consciousness.

I tend to think “mind free from boundaries (of defilements)" or “unbound mind” or "boundless mind" is a better translation since the translation of “unrestricted awareness” could be misleading, which could confuse the readers with another type of Arahant-only, undying consciousness (an eternalist view).

Metta to all!