wondering if this is the right forum for me

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
roky

wondering if this is the right forum for me

Post by roky »

i'm new to this website -- although i've had 40 yrs of a daily practice, it has been with what i guess would be called "westernized" teachers, that is, although most have had a background in theravada, and sometimes all 3 schools, they have been from what might be referred to as the "jon kabat-zinn" school of "buddhism" -- even the most influential, my first, who was a thai monk for 23 yrs, had dropped the robe when i was with him, was a psychotherapist, and taught a very liberal version of vipassana, similar even to zazen -- and this is the style of "theravada" that i have embraced all these years -- and while i respect the tremendous knowledge of theravada that i see in these forums, it is not my way -- if i read nowadays, its usually an auto repair manual, or a physics book -- the many "buddhist" books i have just gather dust -- and i have no interest in discussing historical buddhist documents

so, is there a sub-forum here which i would somewhat fit in, or should i really be looking elsewhere on the web?? and if i should be looking elsewhere, i'm open to suggestions

thanks, bob
"no resistance"
Thaddeus Golas
cooran

Re: wondering if this is the right forum for me

Post by cooran »

Hello roky,

Why not start a discussion thread in the General Theravada forum or one of the Meditation forums. If you have a seemingly contentious point, start a thread in The Dhamma Free For All forum.

Some previous threads which may (or may not) be of interest:

Theravada and Zen - a comparative analysis
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 93&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ajahn Chah Zen Theravada?
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7346" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Nyana

Re: wondering if this is the right forum for me

Post by Nyana »

Of course this is the right forum for you! :smile: If you don't see any topics currently being discussed that interest you, feel free to create a topic. There's the Lounge and Theravada for the Modern World, and so on.... With 4000+ members here, my guess is that someone will be interested in what you have to share.

All the best,

Geoff