ignorance

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Gena1480

ignorance

Post by Gena1480 »

Hello to all
i read in the suttas
that in depending origination
there is ignorance as a cause
but how to understand ignorance
with in the five aggregates ?
Thank you very much.
cooran

Re: ignorance

Post by cooran »

Hello Gena1480, all,

Hope this is of interest:

The unwholesome mental states are called kilesas. The word can be translated afflictions because they bring suffering. It can also be translated defilements because they defile and corrupt the mind. The Buddha has analyzed the nature of the defilements and has beautifully explained how they can all be traced to the three “root defilements” of greed, hatred, and delusion. Our task in following the Buddha’s teaching, in practicing the Dhamma, is to overcome, to eliminate, to abandon the defilements of greed and hatred that give rise to many other branch defilements. But greed and hatred spring ultimately from delusion or ignorance. And thus to eliminate all the defilements, we have to eliminate ignorance.

Ignorance is what covers up the five aggregates, what we refer to as I, mine, and myself. Thus the way to overcome ignorance or delusion is through the first task “knowing that which should be known.” When we know that which should be known, ignorance falls away – greed, hatred, and all the other defilements fall away. It isn’t possible, however, to accomplish this merely by having the desire to do so. We can’t expect simply to think, “I want to know that which should be known;” and immediately it is known. That’s why the whole practice of Buddhism is a process of walking a path. The great gift that the Buddha offers the world is not simply a profound philosophy, not simply a penetrating psychology, but a practical, systematic, step-by-step path that we can cultivate in every aspect of our lives.
http://www.theravada-dhamma.org/blog/?p=7048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

Corran
thank you very much
it is helpful
but i was looking
for what is the condition and cause for ignorance
metta
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

Thank you
how wonderful
that ignorance is impermanent
otherwise the escape from samsara would not be possible
metta