Books by Venerable Mahāsī Sayādaw

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Books by Venerable Mahāsī Sayādaw

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have updated the first two of the Venerable Mahāsī Sayādaw's books. Only twenty or so more to update — then I can start adding some new books.

Exhortations by Venerable Mahāsī Sayādaw

Fundamentals of Insight Meditation

I have updated A Discourse on the Hemavata Sutta

I have edited this edition fairly extensively, adding more footnotes, and hyperlinks for easy access to the cross-references when reading it online or if reading the PDF version while online. Links will open in your default browser.

Updated A Discourse on the Mālukyaputta Sutta

This important teaching on the practice of bare attention — when you see, just know that you see it, when you hear, just know that you hear it, when you sense or cognise something, just know that you know it — was also given to Bāhiya Dārucīriya.

Updated Mahasi Abroad recombining the two books in a single PDF file.

Updated Practical Insight Meditation

A Discourse on the Ariyāvāsa Sutta

Buddhist Meditation and its Forty Subjects

A Discourse on the Sakkapañha Sutta

A Discourse on Dependent Origination

A Discourse on Worldly Vicissitudes (Lokadhamma)

On the Nature of Nibbāna
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Books by Venerable Mahāsī Sayādaw

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The latest addition — On the Nature of Nibbāna — took a while.

This one is formatted with slightly more generous margins — 0.75" on A5 paper. It includes hyperlinks, PDF bookmarks, and an index.

Updated A Discourse on the Bhāra Sutta

Updated A Discourse on the Sallekha Sutta (A Discourse on Effacement)

This is one of the longest of the many lecture series delivered by Mahasi Sayadaw. The Sallekha Sutta from the Majhimanikāya translated by Nyanaponika Thera is available on Access to Insight.

This updated edition has been reformatted and lightly edited. No doubt there are some errors. Please let me know if you find any.

A Discourse on the Sammāparibbajaniya Sutta completes the updates of books by Venerable Mahāsī Sayādaw.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

Thank You! :thumbsup: :namaste: :thumbsup:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Added a previously unpublished new edition of A Discourse on the Dhammadāyāda Sutta.

This discourse was an exhortation given by the Sayādaw to his disciples on the occasion of the annual gathering in December 1970, when his disciples from all over Burma came to the main centre in Rangoon to pay respects, listen to an exhortation, and cultivate good friendship.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Added a previously unpublished new edition of To Nibbāna Via the Noble Eightfold Path which is about the Buddha's teaching to Subhadda, his last disciple.

Added A Discourse on the Purābheda Sutta. This Sutta is from the Suttanipāta, and is one of the six Mahāsamaya discourses given to devas and brahmas. It is about the qualities that distinguish an Arahant — a tranquil sage.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Added A Discourse on the Vammika Sutta and updated the site.

As usual, I am always grateful for feedback. This is just a first draft, and may well contain some typos or other errors.

Updated the PDF file. If you downloaded it before the time of this post, please get the updated version — the PDF bookmarks were fixed.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks you Bhante. I've put a link on this thread about that sutta:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... =0#p148672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

No need for the mirror site now — hopefully.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

My Web Site is now up and running on the new host. Downloads should be working again now.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks Bhante!

:bow:
Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Added A Discourse on the Tuvataka Sutta

I started editing this in 1997 before I last went to Burma, and have only just completed it. Though it seems short at only 70 pages, it was five talks and full of references. It has taken the last few weeks to get to this stage.

I welcome any feedback — there may well still be some errors and typos.

I have also updated the Photo Gallery with some new images. High Resolutions images are in WebP format — you will need to use a supporting browser, or download them and open in IrfanView 4.32, which was used to create them from my original high resolution (600 dpi) scans.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thank you Bhante, that looks very interesting.

:anjali:
Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have now added A Discourse on the Culavedalla Sutta to my web site, as well as uploading and updating the PDF file.

This is one of those difficult tasks that I have put off for years, but I finally got around to completing a first draft. It is not even available on my web site yet, as I have only completed a first run through, and a quick check in PDF-XChange viewer to see that its basically OK.
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

Bhante i cant seem to get on your website.... is it down or is there a problem on my end?
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Still working fine here — I do occasionally see a Server busy error, but it rarely lasts for very long.

Bookmark this site: Down For Everyone? and paste a URL into their form if you ever have a problem accessing any site.