Taking Refuge and Precepts

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Cittasanto

Re: Taking Refuge and Precepts

Post by Cittasanto »

in a book I have by a former monk in the back he specifically says the formality is not necessary all you have to do is live by them to considder yourself a buddhist (not a direct quote), the saying them and the monks presence is a added bonus I guess.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Thank you green, snowmelt and manapa

I to agree that the real refuge is taken inside us my practicing and understanding Dhamma

:anjali:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
GrahamR

Taking Refuge and Precepts

Post by GrahamR »

clw_uk wrote:I have never been to a temple or been on retreat because where I live the nearest Theravada Monastery is quite far away and it has been difficult for me to be able to travel to it. :namaste:
Hi
The main 4 Therevada temples in the UK have local groups which meet in people's houses or in halls.
If you tell me where you live (privately if you wish) I can tell you where your nearest group is.
It's not quite like going to a temple, but it's still helpful
With metta :bow:
Graham
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Unearthing this old topic (and there are other similar ones too if you look around) for binocular:
binocular wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:49 pm
Crazy cloud wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:13 amIf one doesn't have a teacher one make use of the 5 precepts and the 3 refuge
:(
How can one take refuge without a teacher?
-- Anyway, this is for another thread ...
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:29 pm Unearthing this old topic (and there are other similar ones too if you look around) for binocular:
binocular wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:49 pm
Crazy cloud wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:13 amIf one doesn't have a teacher one make use of the 5 precepts and the 3 refuge
:(
How can one take refuge without a teacher?
-- Anyway, this is for another thread ...
:thumbsup:

One can take the 3 Refuges online here:
https://what-buddha-said.net/sangha/Ref ... ecepts.htm

Remain with the Dhamma as an island, the Dhamma as your refuge, without anything else as a refuge.” Samyutta Nikaya 47.13 and also at Digha Nikaya 26.

Even without a teacher one can take the 3 Refuges. And then one can consult the Pali Canon for the teachings. When clarification is needed, one can come over to DW and ask.
binocular

Post by binocular »

DNS wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:29 pmOne can take the 3 Refuges online here:
https://what-buddha-said.net/sangha/Ref ... ecepts.htm
This only explains the external procedure, but not the justification for taking refuge; it also doesn't seem to say anything about how to take refuge without this seeming like a condemnation of oneself ...
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Aloka wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:07 am This is worth reading:
Very nice, thanks for posting this. :thumbsup: