OMG it's a rebirth thread

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Ngawang Drolma.

OMG it's a rebirth thread

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Hi friends,

I stumbled across this idea in my own head this morning. Please tell me what you think, and feel free to provide any relevant suttas.

I think I finally understand people's objection to rebirth, or even post-mortem continuation.

Anything that we would consider me, mine, not-mine, etc. etc. is going to decay, rot, and disappear. In fact it's happening right at this moment, as I write this. There is nothing that is mine, and even post-mortem continuation implies that something is continuing. So it is easy to see how people would mistake rebirth or continuation as a form of eternalism.

But if you spend time concentrating deeply on impermenance, it becomes obvious that when we use the word emptiness we're also making reference to the immeasurably important truth of impermenance.

Therefore, when we talk about rebirth in any form, we're talking about becoming. And craving. Though any shred of "I" is subject to change, decay, conditioning, and disapating. What provokes the continuation of samsara and birth is the craving to become. Therefore, that the Buddha taught literal rebrith is fine, if one considers that there's nothing to re-anything.

I will not have future lives, and I do not have past lives. And I don't have this life. But out of ignorance there is an ongoing process of becoming that is rooted in dependent origination.

All input is appreciated :namaste:
Last edited by Ngawang Drolma. on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ceisiwr

Re: OMG it's a rebirth thread

Post by Ceisiwr »

Very well put :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The problem that comes with rebirth is first of all the name itself, re-birth envisions that "something" births again when if there is birth again it would be new. People tend to envision themselves in the doctrine of rebirth, you will notice they say "I will be reborn" etc. They mistakenly take some part of it as self if they are aware of it or not. Its funny when you say there is no rebirth to a buddhist who adamantly believes in it they will say you slander the dhamma or that you are telling lies, they get upset or irritated by your words, its because they need it, but why need something that is not-self? Because on some level they cling to it as self. If you really grasp not-self you can comfortably say "There is no rebirth".

This is very good to bear in mind, nothing is ours,

not ours now, wont be ours then :smile:

:namaste:
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Drolma,

:thumbsup:

(Just be careful who you say that around... who knows how they'll misinterpret it :spy: )

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Drolma,
Drolma wrote:even post-mortem continuation implies that something is continuing.
There is continuation, but it's nothing different to the "ongoing process of becoming that is rooted in dependent origination" which you mention in your post. This becoming occurs now and isn't stopped by conventional death. Hence the term (which I started using, even though it's not an actual Theravadin expression per se) 'post-mortem continuation'.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Individual

Post by Individual »

Drolma wrote:Hi friends,

I stumbled across this idea in my own head this morning. Please tell me what you think, and feel free to provide any relevant suttas.

I think I finally understand people's objection to rebirth, or even post-mortem continuation.

Anything that we would consider me, mine, not-mine, etc. etc. is going to decay, rot, and disappear. In fact it's happening right at this moment, as I write this. There is nothing that is mine, and even post-mortem continuation implies that something is continuing. So it is easy to see how people would mistake rebirth or continuation as a form of eternalism.

But if you spend time concentrating deeply on impermenance, it becomes obvious that when we use the word emptiness we're also making reference to the immeasurably important truth of impermenance. I saw element write that once and I delighted in it.

Therefore, when we talk about rebirth in any form, we're talking about becoming. And craving. Though any shred of "I" is subject to change, decay, conditioning, and disapating. What provokes the continuation of samsara and birth is the craving to become. Therefore, that the Buddha taught literal rebrith is fine, if one considers that there's nothing to re-anything.

I will not have future lives, and I do not have past lives. And I don't have this life. But out of ignorance there is an ongoing process of becoming that is rooted in dependent origination.

All input is appreciated :namaste:
Congratulations. You've just figured out why the contentious, drawn-out debates over rebirth are pointless. It's always just a debate between subtle annihilationism ("Metaphorical rebirth", "Modern rebirth") and subtle eternalism ("Literal rebirth", "Traditional rebirth"). If you recognize notself and impermanence clearly, the question, "Where do I go at death?" becomes meaningless. :)
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Drolma,
Drolma wrote:even post-mortem continuation implies that something is continuing.
There is continuation, but it's nothing different to the "ongoing process of becoming that is rooted in dependent origination". This becoming occurs now and isn't stopped by conventional death. Hence the term (which I started using, even though it's not a Theravadin expression per se) 'post-mortem continuation'.

Metta,
Continuation of causality, however. Not atta or vinnana. Ayu (vitality) and vinnana (consciousness) cease at death, without remainder.

With metta :heart:,
Individual
Last edited by Individual on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Best Rebirth Thread Ever.

Metta,
Ngawang Drolma.

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Drolma,
There is continuation, but it's nothing different to the "ongoing process of becoming that is rooted in dependent origination" which you mention in your post. This becoming occurs now and isn't stopped by conventional death. Hence the term (which I started using, even though it's not an actual Theravadin expression per se) 'post-mortem continuation'.

Metta,
Yes Retro, thanks. There is no thing that rebirths or continues or becomes. There is no essense to be found. Rather, there is a dynamic process of becoming that continues through birth, old age, sickness, death, birth, old age, sickness, death, birth, old age, sickness, and death ad nauseum.

Ngawang Drolma.

Continuation of causality, however. Not atta or vinnana. Ayu (vitality) and vinnana (consciousness) cease at death, without remainder.
:goodpost:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Individual,
Individual wrote:Continuation of causality, however. Not atta or vinnana. Ayu (vitality) and vinnana (consciousness) cease at death, without remainder.
The final moment of consciousness in this life conditions the first moment of consciousness for another conventional being... like that old analogy about lighting a candle with the light of another candle.

Metta,
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Drolma wrote:Therefore, that the Buddha taught literal rebrith is fine, if one considers that there's nothing to re-anything.
I heard somewhere he did not teach "rebirth" but rather "again birth" as in "For those who have not made an end to craving, after death there will again be birth."
retrofuturist wrote:Hence the term (which I started using, even though it's not an actual Theravadin expression per se) 'post-mortem continuation'.
Also good.
Individual wrote:vinnana (consciousness) cease at death, without remainder.
It also ceases every moment of life, without remainder.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Peter wrote:
Drolma wrote:Therefore, that the Buddha taught literal rebrith is fine, if one considers that there's nothing to re-anything.
I heard somewhere he did not teach "rebirth" but rather "again birth" as in "For those who have not made an end to craving, after death there will again be birth."
retrofuturist wrote:Hence the term (which I started using, even though it's not an actual Theravadin expression per se) 'post-mortem continuation'.
Also good.

I believe that this lies more in line with the buddhadhamma than "rebirth" as i stated earlier the word itself implies that something that has gone comes again into being, RE-birth.

One problem i find though with explanations of continuation is the "rebirth" linking consciousness. Isnt consciounsness dependent on Name and Form so i find it hard to see how a rebirth linking consciouness could exsist because it would need name and form which would mean that name and form get taken into another existence after physical death?

Anyone who could clear this up for me i would be very grateful :namaste:
Ngawang Drolma.

All of a sudden it makes sense why they say "Meditate like your hair was on fire." This very moment has already decayed.
Ngawang Drolma.

clw_uk wrote:
Peter wrote:
Also good.

I believe that this lies more in line with the buddhadhamma than "rebirth" as i stated earlier the word itself implies that something that has gone comes again into being, RE-birth.

One problem i find though with explanations of continuation is the "rebirth" linking consciousness. Isnt consciounsness dependent on Name and Form so i find it hard to see how a rebirth linking consciouness could exsist because it would need name and form which would mean that name and form get taken into another existence after physical death?

Anyone who could clear this up for me i would be very grateful :namaste:
Our skandhas decay and become, including formation. But there was nothing to arise or fall to begin with; the skandhas are purely conditioned out of craving. There is no beginning or end, birth or death. There is only a deluded process and formation is part of it. I think that's why the Buddha didn't teach what we are, but what we're not.

This is what I think, please feel free to correct me, everyone.

Last edited by Ngawang Drolma. on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Drolma wrote:All of a sudden it makes sense why they say "Meditate like your hair was on fire." This very moment has already decayed.

Indeed :smile: I like to think of existence like a card pyramid, existence of anything in any form is built on numerous conditions that when arranged together form something but that formation is so unstable that at any moment it will all come tumbling down and break apart.

Just one of my own similies there lol

Metta
Craig
Ngawang Drolma.

Peter wrote:
Cool, thanks Peter :namaste: I like it.