Is everyday karma?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
sunnat

Re: Is everyday karma?

Post by sunnat »

Part of the difficulties with understanding what kamma is comes from the common saying "it's my kamma" when talking about something that is being experienced.

Kamma is any action that is intentionally made.

That kamma (also spelled karma) has a result that is experienced (sooner or later).

That experience is not kamma.

Any intentional reaction to that result, or fruit, of (past) kamma is kamma.

user99

Post by user99 »

"Change direction is possible but cant get rid of karma" what do you mean?

user99

Post by user99 »

Do you mean that it doesnt is possible to get more hapiness?

user99

Post by user99 »

Does everyone have the same way to enlightenment?

kalyana.mitta

Post by kalyana.mitta »

user99 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:24 pm
Does everyone have the same way to enlightenment?
In terms of the way to become enlightened, yes. You can only become enlightened by following the noble eightfold path.

From reading different suttas, it is seen that some people attain stages of enlightenment just by listening to a few words, while others take years and years of practice. That's due to many factors like previously earned good karma, wise consideration/wisdom and etc.

Padipa

Post by Padipa »

kalyana.mitta wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:13 am
Padipa wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:49 pm
user99 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:43 pm
Let say i fully experience my kamma. Can i fall down to the same kamma or get even worser kamma?
The choice is yours. Grasping that actions have consequences empowers you to go in whichever directions you desire.
:goodpost:
user99 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:56 pm
What does not fully experienced mean?
Every action you do has a result(Kamma). what I meant by "Fully experiencing" is: until the result of the Kamma is fulfilled. (until the price of that action is paid)
The Pali word kamma means action. But the result of kamma (action) is vipaka (fruit, or consequence). The Buddha defined kamma with the word cetana (intention, or volition). Also, one must remember no 1 action can be separated by itself, apart from the the myriad of other happenings which made it possible. It is not a tit for tat exchange, but an ever-changing, continuous process. Try not to think of it as separating a single action. It (kamma) is more like an inertia, with each present moment composed of infinite contributions from previous moments. The metaphor of Indra's net can aid in this discussion. :)