Using the Mala beads in original way . .

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
jbrooks79

Using the Mala beads in original way . .

Post by jbrooks79 »

Okay, I have bought some Mala beads, and read original Buddha said to a king, to make such beads, and recite the Three Jewels . .

That is,

I go to the Buddha for refuge . .
I go to the Dharma for refuge . .
I go to the Sangha for refuge . .

If I say that 108 times, as many beads on the mala, is this right, or correct . .

kalyana.mitta

Re: Using the Mala beads in original way . .

Post by kalyana.mitta »

jbrooks79 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:37 am
and read original Buddha said to a king, to make such beads, and recite the Three Jewels . .

If I say that 108 times, as many beads on the mala, is this right, or correct . .
Do you have any specific sutta which states this?
"Whatever treasure in this world or in other any worlds, whatever precious jewel there is in the heavens, none is equal to the Buddha. In the Buddha is this precious jewel. By there truth, may there be wellbeing."
:candle: Ratana Sutta | Sn 2.1 :candle:

JohnK

Post by JohnK »

jbrooks79 wrote:
The lack of response here may be because people do not recognize this from the Pali Canon.
I have not read the entire Canon, but so far have seen no reference to beads. I am happy to be corrected.
If it is true then that beads are not mentioned in the canon, it suggests that their use is not necessary.
That being said, if you experiment using the beads and find that it helps to promote wholesome qualities such as mindfulness, alertness, and good-will, why not? The practice can be seen as a skill -- you develop a skill by trying things and seeing the results, learning and adjusting. You develop confidence in your own assessment of "correct."
I did use beads for a while years ago along with Metta phrases -- I think it was useful at that time.
:anjali:
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

jbrooks79 wrote:
Okay, I have bought some Mala beads, and read original Buddha said to a king, to make such beads, and recite the Three Jewels . .

That is,

I go to the Buddha for refuge . .
I go to the Dharma for refuge . .
I go to the Sangha for refuge . .

Mala beads are used a lot in Mahayana/Vajrayana Buddhism for mantra recitation....but I don't think they're as important in Theravada.

You can repeat the 3 refuges and the 5 precepts every day, but you don't really need a Mala to do that.

Naga108

Post by Naga108 »

You can use mala beads for this practice. It isn't a common nor formal practice in Theravada. However, it should bring some calm to your mind.

You can recite 'Buddho' 108 times. 'Buddho' is a common meditation object in the Thai Forest Tradition.
"'What am I becoming as the days & nights fly past?'..." (AN 10.48)

:buddha1:

https://www.facebook.com/kovida108

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Ajahn Sumedho discusses how to practice the mantra "Buddho" from page 19 of this booklet:

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/deathless.pdf

:anjali: