Can i choice a better choice sometimes?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
user99

Can i choice a better choice sometimes?

Post by user99 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:33 pm

Or Will i automatically do better actions of better choice every New day?

SarathW

Re: Can i choice a better choice sometimes?

Post by SarathW » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:53 pm

What ever the choice you make be sure not to break the five precepts.
Make a choice without attachment, aversion and ignorance.
The results will taken care of itself.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:11 am

user99 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:33 pm
The Buddha's teachings are about causes and effects -- things don't happen automatically.
If you are creating the causes for good choices, then the good choices will follow.
Just a few examples:
If you develop calmness, you will likely makes better choices than if you are agitated.
If you develop some continuity of mindfulness, you will be more likely to see a possible bad choice before you act on it -- and make a better choice.
If you develop goodwill, you will be less likely to make bad choices based on ill-will.
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:33 am

Greetings User99,
user99 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:33 pm
Please forgive me if I misunderstand you, but this is a common motif in your questioning, and it appears as if you're searching for hope of a better future.

As such it appears as if you're trying to use the Dhamma as a means of placating yourself. However, this is not what the Dhamma is for. The Dhamma will teach you the causality of your suffering and provide you with means to reduce and eradicate suffering... but to do that, you'll need to take ownership of your spiritual autonomy and be committed to understanding and implementing the Dhamma.

However, your questions do not come across as being the words of someone who is committed to understanding and implementing the Dhamma... they appear to be the questions of someone who is continually searching for hope.

Again, if I'm wrong, I apologize and welcome you to explain your situation as it appears to you. However, if I'm right, you may want to revisit for approach, for the benefit of your own well-being and future. Your questions, as posed, will not provide you much in the way of useful answers. To your point, you can make a better choice, if you choose to do so.

Kind regards.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

sunnat

Post by sunnat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:48 am

If you practice making good choices then that becomes a good habit. As a good action, kamma, fruit will arise more and more with the nature of that good action. The impulse will become more and more to make good choices. Likewise the less you re-act to the fruit of past bad kammas, actions, those fruit will gradually stop arising. Always a good choice is to not make a bad choice.

user99

Post by user99 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:50 pm

Thank you. I believe it is the Environment that makens you do good or lesser good actions.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:16 pm

You can make a better choice. Responsibility should not be relegated to one's environment. You are responsible for your own actions.
Upajjhatthana Sutta (AN 5.57) wrote: All beings that come and go, that pass away and undergo rebirth, are owners of their kamma, heirs of their kamma; all have kamma as their origin, kamma as their relative, kamma as their resort; all will be heirs of whatever kamma, good or bad, that they do.
A fatalistic attitude will result in non-doing [see Titthāyatana Sutta (AN 3.61)]. You need to have the desire to do what should be done and to avoid doing what should not be done.
Aññataro Brāhmaṇo Sutta wrote: I teach action and inaction.
[...]
I teach inaction regarding bad bodily, verbal, and mental conduct, and the many kinds of unskillful things.
I teach action regarding good bodily, verbal, and mental conduct, and the many kinds of skillful things.

PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:44 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:16 pm
You can make a better choice. Responsibility should not be relegated to one's environment. You are responsible for your own actions.
Upajjhatthana Sutta (AN 5.57) wrote: All beings that come and go, that pass away and undergo rebirth, are owners of their kamma, heirs of their kamma; all have kamma as their origin, kamma as their relative, kamma as their resort; all will be heirs of whatever kamma, good or bad, that they do.
A fatalistic attitude will result in non-doing [see Titthāyatana Sutta (AN 3.61)]. You need to have the desire to do what should be done and to avoid doing what should not be done.
Aññataro Brāhmaṇo Sutta wrote: I teach action and inaction.
[...]
I teach inaction regarding bad bodily, verbal, and mental conduct, and the many kinds of unskillful things.
I teach action regarding good bodily, verbal, and mental conduct, and the many kinds of skillful things.
One has an ability as a human being, this ability is however not innate, but interdependent with our surroundings. Pointing towards responsibility and responsible is pointing to self. Please read this post for a further explanation viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36150&start=15#p541089

user99

Post by user99 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:36 pm

Yes ofcourse but the Environment will be changed tomorrow to the better.

user99

Post by user99 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:42 pm

And because of that the Environment have changed i Will feel better. And therefore my actions Will become better also.

PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:15 pm

That, but we are also capable of learning.

user99

Post by user99 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:50 pm

Need to learn what?

Naga108

Post by Naga108 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:52 pm

The path is gradual with a sudden drop-off.

You will have moments of insight, but the majority of the working is chipping away hour by hour, minute by minute, and breath by breath...
"'What am I becoming as the days & nights fly past?'..." (AN 10.48)

:buddha1:

https://www.facebook.com/kovida108

zerotime

Post by zerotime » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:01 am

we can do what we want, but we cannot want what we want

more:
https://philosophy.stackexchange.com/qu ... nt-what-he

we can get detachment of what we want when this is what we want.

There is no error all the time. Difficult to accept if we don't want to accept it.

PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:56 pm

user99 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:50 pm
Need to learn what?
To make better choices.