Really Confused...!

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
JohnK

Re: Really Confused...!

Post by JohnK »

Another book you might find interesting is Small Boat, Great Mountain by Amaro Bhikkhu.
The sub-title is Theravadan Reflections on The Natural Great Perfection.
https://www.abhayagiri.org/books/423-sm ... t-mountain

Also, here is a popular sutta from the Canon that is analytical regarding the nature of self.
https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/SN/SN22_59.html
Hopefully helpful.
:anjali:
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Woodsman,
woodsman wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:01 pm
is my problem, I now feel that I am missing out on practices that I 'should' be doing rather than merely using insight practices. Its created a sense of urgency and anxiety that is impeding my practice. Has anyone else experienced this if so how on earth did you reconcile it?
Just remember... it is the Noble Eightfold Path.

It is not the Noble Tibetan Buddhism Path, nor is it the Noble Insight Practices Path.

Remember that and you'll not lose your anchor.

Further, I'd recommend reading the Simsapa Sutta and reflecting on how it relates to your current situation.

All the best.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:56 pm
Greetings Woodsman,
woodsman wrote:
is my problem, I now feel that I am missing out on practices that I 'should' be doing rather than merely using insight practices. Its created a sense of urgency and anxiety that is impeding my practice. Has anyone else experienced this if so how on earth did you reconcile it?

It is not the Noble Tibetan Buddhism Path, nor is the Noble Insight Practices Path.

Further, I'd recommend reading the Simsapa Sutta and reflect on how it relates to your current situation.

All the best.

Metta,

:goodpost:

woodsman

Post by woodsman »

Aloka wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:15 pm
retrofuturist wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:56 pm
Greetings Woodsman,
woodsman wrote:

It is not the Noble Tibetan Buddhism Path, nor is the Noble Insight Practices Path.

Further, I'd recommend reading the Simsapa Sutta and reflect on how it relates to your current situation.

All the best.

Metta,

:goodpost:

Thanks, I might be wrong but is there a contradiction between that Sutta and the Mahā-parinibbāna Sutta when the Buddha stated he withheld nothing? Either way he seems to be stating (to labour my point) that the Tibetans for example might well be onto something, but its just not relevant to the matter in hand?

It might not be relevant to an Enlightened mind, but we're not as yet Enlightened

ps. Don't let the Zennies hear that last bit! :reading:

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

woodsman wrote:
Hello and thanks for adding me. I am facing what feels like an insurmountable confusion at the moment that is stopping my practice moving forward, as it were - so any advice from those much more experienced than me would be welcomed.

I initially started studying and practising in the Theravada tradition and found the practices and earthy explanations offered by Ajahn Cha' and others really helpful. Then I developed an interest in other traditions, specifically Zen and the Tibetan schools. I guess being exposed to the Tibetan school is where my confusion stems from. So rather than rant on about lots of examples of what I see as paradoxes and contradictions I will offer one in particular that troubles me.

The Tibetan school for example often talk in detail about practices that assist in the stages after the death of the body. They seem in COMPLETE contrast to those taught in the Theravada - in fact with my limited experience of the Theravada there are no such teachings. So far as my reading goes when ya gone ya gone!

How can this be so? How can there be such an antithesis of teachings from two Buddhist tradition.

So here is my problem, I now feel that I am missing out on practices that I 'should' be doing rather than merely using insight practices. Its created a sense of urgency and anxiety that is impeding my practice. Has anyone else experienced this if so how on earth did you reconcile it?

Thanks,

Woodsman
IMO they are all separate religions. The Pali canon is closest to the Buddha's original teachings, That developed into Tibetan with the fusion of native shamanistic practices. Zen too, with the integration of Chinese and later Japanese ideals and philosophies.

I don't try to reconcile them, they are incompatible, IMO. My suggestion: investigate the various teachings for yourself, observe their practitioners for a long time, and choose the one that both makes most sense to you and appears most effective in practice towards the end goal (Right View).

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
woodsman wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:52 am
Thanks, I might be wrong but is there a contradiction between that Sutta and the Mahā-parinibbāna Sutta when the Buddha stated he withheld nothing?
No. He with-held nothing relevant of relevance to the path... the discarded leaves are things that are irrelevant to the path.
woodsman wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:52 am
Either way he seems to be stating (to labour my point) that the Tibetans for example might well be onto something, but its just not relevant to the matter in hand?
Not relevant to the Buddha's path, correct.

Metta,
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)