What happends if i drink alcohol?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
sunnat

Re: What happends if i drink alcohol?

Post by sunnat »

From the Uposatha sutta :
"Bikkhus. (wherever it says Bhikkus be aware it refers to mendicants on the path) Ariyan disciples in this discipline reflect thus:

"'All arahants, for as long as life lasts, have given up the taking of liquors and intoxicants, of that which intoxicates, causing carelessness. They are far from intoxicants.'

"All of you have given up the taking of liquors and intoxicants. You abstain from drink which causes carelessness. For all of this day and night, in this manner, you will be known as having followed the arahants, and the Uposatha will have been observed by you. This is the fifth factor of the Uposatha."

There are variants of this but basically it says 'refrain from taking intoxicants'. Intoxicants lead to carelessness.

Buddha says "... what is the Uposatha of the Noble Ones? It is the cleansing of the defiled mind through the proper technique." and "brings glorious and radiant fruit and benefit."

__

addendum: As an alcoholic I find it very important to abstain from ANY intoxicants as it can work as a primer that leads to future carelessness about amounts and potencies.

user99

Post by user99 »

user99 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:24 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:49 pm
user99 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:14 pm
What is heedlessness?
Pamāda: carelessness, being remiss, sloppy, acting without care and attention to what one is doing.

Is this a question about what it is like to be drunk, or about why being drunk is undesirable?
Why being drink is undesirable.
S N Goenka said that only a zip of alcohol is a break against morality i remember now.

pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

In a number of suttas, the Buddha picks out breaking the first 4 precepts. For eg in the Kalama sutta " "And this greedy person, overcome by greed, his mind possessed by greed, kills living beings, takes what is not given, goes after another person's wife, tells lies, and induces others to do likewise, all of which is for long-term harm & suffering."

The 5th precept prohibits imbibing alcohol but in my opinion, the danger is not the alcohol itself, but imbibing alcohol leads to the real danger of breaking the first 4 precepts.

As an analogy, one is advised against traveling to a war zone. Not that the land itself poses a danger to one but because one can be harmed by the ongoing conflict.

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

the habit of being intoxicated leads to mental disorder

Laurens

Post by Laurens »

Depends on lots of factors.

A little alcohol won't do much. If you drink a moderate to large amount you will feel drunk. Your inhibitions will be lessened, as will your coordination etc. It will affect your ability to make decisions etc.

It will have a toxic affect on your body proportional to the dose.

Getting drunk might not necessarily have any other effects. However due to the loss of inhibition you might decide to break other precepts.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

jbrooks79

Post by jbrooks79 »

Your mind becomes hazy, concentrations fall, and you get drunk, inebriated . .