What happends if i drink alcohol?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
user99

What happends if i drink alcohol?

Post by user99 »

What happends what kind of consekvence comes?

SDC

Re: What happends if i drink alcohol?

Post by SDC »

You get drunk and it leads to being heedless.

user99

Post by user99 »

What is heedlessness?

SDC

Post by SDC »

Oxford dictionary: showing a reckless lack of care or attention

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

user99 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:14 pm
What is heedlessness?
Pamāda: carelessness, being remiss, sloppy, acting without care and attention to what one is doing.

Is this a question about what it is like to be drunk, or about why being drunk is undesirable?

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

The slightest of all the results coming from drinking fermented & distilled liquors is that, when one becomes a human being, it leads to mental derangement.
Vipaka Sutta: Results

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

From A Talk on Intoxicants and Gambling
In the Book of the Eights of the Gradual Sayings, the Buddha teaches:

“Monks, drinking intoxicants, if done frequently or habitually, leads to rebirth in hell, rebirth as an animal or as a hungry ghost. At the very least, the result of this evil deed when born as a human being is that one becomes a mad person.”
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

user99

Post by user99 »

Sam Vara wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:49 pm
user99 wrote:
What is heedlessness?
Pamāda: carelessness, being remiss, sloppy, acting without care and attention to what one is doing.

Is this a question about what it is like to be drunk, or about why being drunk is undesirable?
Why being drink is undesirable.
S N Goenka said that only a zip of alcohol is a bråk against morality i remember now.

user99

Post by user99 »

I drank two or three glases of 0.7% yesterday and i had very much pain in my body that evening. I wonder if i got the pain because i drank or of something Else. Why do one gets pain sometimes?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
user99 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:24 pm
S N Goenka said that only a zip of alcohol is a bråk against morality i remember now.
Well, that's an interpretation of the precept.

Two factors which may run against that include:

1. Vinaya provisions for monks allowing medicines and tonics containing alcohol
2. The precept wording that talks about "leading to heedlessness" (sure, a small amount might "influence the mind" but that's not what the precept says - it could easily have said that, if that was the point)

To be clear, I'm not saying what's right or wrong here... only that it's good to be fully informed lest one fault (i.e. propensity to drink) be replaced by another (i.e. attachment to rites-and-rituals).

Unsurprisingly, given this forum has been going for over a decade, there are many topics discussing this matter if you're after additional perspectives and resources.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

user99

Post by user99 »

I dont have the thoughts that i must do things in detail correct all the time anylonger but what i do wonder is : can my morality become better in this life i living now?

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

be replaced by another (i.e. attachment to rites-and-rituals).
The belief that not consuming alcohol leads to the enlightenment (Nibbana) is the clinging to rites-and-rituals.
The belief that consuming alcohol leads to enlightenment is the wrong view.
Why do people consume alcohol?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

user99

Post by user99 »

Because they are addicted to it.

user99

Post by user99 »

user99 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:00 pm
Because they are addicted to it.
Bad karma.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

user99 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:24 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:49 pm
user99 wrote:
What is heedlessness?

The precepts are not presented with detailed reasoning as to why each one should be kept. That's an interesting point for a questioning mind to latch on to, and if people are not convinced by the statements the Buddha uttered about unfavourable rebirth (see Bhikkhu Pesala's response above) then they are dependent on their own inferences.

I have heard various plausible ideas. Some say that even tiny amounts of alcohol lead to a deterioration of meditation. Even moderate controlled drinkers are led by the lowering of inhibitions into taking just a little more. And a monk told me that he had watched a TV programme where very small amounts of alcohol caused performance in physical and intellectual tasks to deteriorate, although the consumer showed no signs of being overtly drunk. This led the monk to consider whether one needed that extra handicap when walking the difficult path to liberation.