What are the Benefits of Chanting?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Akashad

What are the Benefits of Chanting?

Post by Akashad » Mon May 13, 2019 1:37 am

Hello,

I've been having some trouble meditating lately due to a lot of assignments and studying so I thought I'd do chanting every morning and evening.However,I don't know what the benefits of chanting are? Why do Buddhists chant? If anyone could help me understand.Thank you. 🙏🙏

SarathW

Re: What are the Benefits of Chanting?

Post by SarathW » Mon May 13, 2019 1:56 am

I do not chant but I see some benefits.
- If you chant in Pali you can learn Pali
- You can remember and memorise the teaching
- It is great if you are a teacher
- It helps to reduce mind chatter
- It helps if your are disturb by other sounds
- It is great way to preserve the teaching. That is how the teaching was preserved for thousand of years
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

markandeya

Post by markandeya » Mon May 13, 2019 6:23 am

Akashad wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:37 am
Hello,

I've been having some trouble meditating lately due to a lot of assignments and studying so I thought I'd do chanting every morning and evening.However,I don't know what the benefits of chanting are? Why do Buddhists chant? If anyone could help me understand.Thank you. 🙏🙏
:anjali: Akashad

Buddha said to be ones own lamp, see if it works for you, test them and see if they affect your states of being and mind, I am not sure i know of any one dharma tradition that does not use chanting/recitation at some point in one form or another, and is still being practised today after who knows how long, so there must be something in it, i tend to trust long terms traditions and practices rather than new and often exploring ideas.

Some chanting are congregational based, but can also be done solo, other suttas are individual algorithms of the cittas awakening, but due to them all being based in the subtle universe it can apply to anyone. Start simple and then build things up as understanding increases, they are all of the same quality and message, there is a saying, if one wants to check to see if a pot of rice is cooked one only need check one grain.

The pali Theravada chants are very beautiful, there are morning and evening chants on youtube that make them easy to follow. Short periods of meditation after chanting is often recommended. Devotional attitude bhava is paramount.

:namaste:

Akashad

Post by Akashad » Mon May 13, 2019 9:56 am

markandeya wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:23 am
Akashad wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:37 am
Hello,

:anjali: Akashad

Buddha said to be ones own lamp, see if it works for you, test them and see if they affect your states of being and mind, I am not sure i know of any one dharma tradition that does not use chanting/recitation at some point in one form or another, and is still being practised today after who knows how long, so there must be something in it, i tend to trust long terms traditions and practices rather than new and often exploring ideas.

Some chanting are congregational based, but can also be done solo, other suttas are individual algorithms of the cittas awakening, but due to them all being based in the subtle universe it can apply to anyone. Start simple and then build things up as understanding increases, they are all of the same quality and message, there is a saying, if one wants to check to see if a pot of rice is cooked one only need check one grain.

The pali Theravada chants are very beautiful, there are morning and evening chants on youtube that make them easy to follow. Short periods of meditation after chanting is often recommended. Devotional attitude bhava is paramount.

:namaste:

Thank you 🙏🙏

Nwad

Post by Nwad » Sun May 19, 2019 1:52 pm

When iam at home, before going to sleep i chant with voice evening puja + chanting on sharing blessings and inspiration + take precepts, and i saw that I sleep less and better, it generates wholesome states of mind + inspiration , devotion, saddha etc.

Try and use it if it beneficial to your practice. Imho

anthbrown84

Post by anthbrown84 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:50 am

I genuinely think the chants are better used as a contemplative tool.

Contemplating the qualities of the Triple Gem nave been far more.penetrating than chanting, which to me, is more of a devotional practise

Just my two cents
"Your job in practise is to know the difference between the heart and the activity of the heart, that is it, it is that simple" Ajahn Tate

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:57 am

Any thoughts about whether it is better to chant in English or Pali? I've tried both, and found chanting in English to be more useful.
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Akashad

Post by Akashad » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:16 am

Dinsdale wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:57 am
Any thoughts about whether it is better to chant in English or Pali? I've tried both, and found chanting in English to be more useful.
I prefer reading the meaning of the chant in English then chanting in pali.something about pali that has a tranquilising effect.☺

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:22 am

Akashad wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:16 am
Dinsdale wrote:
I prefer reading the meaning of the chant in English then chanting in pali.something about pali that has a tranquilising effect.☺
I was brought up as a Roman Catholic, and remember when they stopped saying the mass in Latin, and started saying it in English. I assume the idea was to make the mass more accessible and more intelligible, but it did feel like something had been lost in the transition.
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Akashad

Post by Akashad » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:45 pm

Dinsdale wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:22 am
Akashad wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:16 am
Dinsdale wrote:
I was brought up as a Roman Catholic, and remember when they stopped saying the mass in Latin, and started saying it in English. I assume the idea was to make the mass more accessible and more intelligible, but it did feel like something had been lost in the transition.

Chanting definitely sounds better in pali.I have chanted in English before. it's bland.
Nwad wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:52 pm
When iam at home, before going to sleep i chant with voice evening puja + chanting on sharing blessings and inspiration + take precepts, and i saw that I sleep less and better, it generates wholesome states of mind + inspiration , devotion, saddha etc.

Try and use it if it beneficial to your practice. Imho
Yes Nwad,I'm going to try that and chant the karaniya metta sutta every night before going to bed.I find that it anchors the mind as meditation might be too subtle and refined after a hectic day and I can work my way from there.🙏