Theravada for Beginner

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Nicolas

Re: Theravada for Beginner

Post by Nicolas »

Keep the five precepts & guard your behavior (including your mind), developing mindfulness at all times.

• "Know thyself", know the mind as often as possible. Know when there is greed/aversion/delusion in the mind.

Reflect on your actions before, while, and after doing them, per Ambalaṭṭhikarāhulovāda Sutta (MN 61).

• A few verses on sila that I think are useful:
- verses 121-122 from the Dhammapada:
‘Think not lightly of evil, saying, "It will not come to me." Drop by drop is the water pot filled. Likewise, the fool, gathering it little by little, fills himself with evil.’
‘Think not lightly of good, saying, "It will not come to me." Drop by drop is the water pot filled. Likewise, the wise man, gathering it little by little, fills himself with good.’

- verse 183 from the Dhammapada:
‘To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.’

The 5 "daily recollections" from the Ṭhāna Sutta (AN 5.57)
- ‘I am subject to old age; I am not exempt from old age.’
- ‘I am subject to illness; I am not exempt from illness.’
- ‘I am subject to death; I am not exempt from death.’
- ‘I must be parted and separated from everyone and everything dear and agreeable to me.’
- ‘I am the owner of my kamma [i.e. actions], the heir of my kamma; I have kamma as my origin, kamma as my relative, kamma as my resort; I will be the heir of whatever kamma, good or bad, that I do.’

Four summaries of the Dhamma, from the Raṭṭhapāla Sutta (MN 82):
- ‘[Life in] any world is unstable, it is swept away.’
- ‘[Life in] any world has no shelter and no protector.’
- ‘[Life in] any world has nothing of its own; one has to leave all and pass on.’
- ‘[Life in] any world is incomplete, insatiate, the slave of craving.’

The "eight worldly winds": gain and loss, disrepute and fame, blame and praise, and pleasure and pain. (see AN 8.6).
I find it's a good way to categorize something if you get caught up in it, and makes it easier to let go of.

Make Buddha/Dhamma/Sangha your refuge, i.e. the safe haven you go to whenever you are in difficulty, the solution to all your problems. Whenever a problem arises, recollecting these can establish mindfulness & good behavior, re-establishes right view, and appeases the mind.

• Similarly, but with remembering/reminding yourself that everything is impermanent, unsatisfactory, and not you/yours.

• From the Dutiyaavijjāpahāna Sutta (SN 35.80):
‘When a bhikkhu has heard, ‘Nothing is worth adhering to,’ he directly knows everything. Having directly known everything, he fully understands everything. Having fully understood everything, he sees all signs differently.’
That's "all you need to know". Remembering this re-establishes right view, etc.

• From the Bāhiya Sutta (Ud 1.10):
‘You should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then there is no you in connection with that. When there is no you in connection with that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress.’
There's an expression I like: "it's just stuff".

• Here's a sutta on the monastics' gradual training, which I think is a good inspiration: Gaṇakamoggallāna Sutta (MN 107).

• I think it's important to read the suttas to gain proper understanding and to develop faith and also to put things in context and know which teachings are emphasized more frequently.

• And of course, meditate :-)
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Zolbec wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:29 pm Hey, guys. Do you think I should start by studying
The Eightfold Path or Mindfulness (Anapanasati)?
Hi Zolbec

The Eightfold Path is a pre-requisite for Anapanasati. Anapanasati is the 7th factor of the Eightfold Path. Therefore, you should study both. The Eightfold Path is explained most simply in SN 45.8 and more complex in MN 117. That MN 117 is placed before MN 118 indicates MN 117 is a prerequisite for MN 118 (Anapanasati Sutta). Best wishes. DD :)
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Zolbec

Post by Zolbec »

DooDoot wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:04 am
Zolbec wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:29 pm Hey, guys. Do you think I should start by studying
The Eightfold Path or Mindfulness (Anapanasati)?
Hi Zolbec

The Eightfold Path is a pre-requisite for Anapanasati. Anapanasati is the 7th factor of the Eightfold Path. Therefore, you should study both. The Eightfold Path is explained most simply in SN 45.8 and more complex in MN 117. That MN 117 is placed before MN 118 indicates MN 117 is a prerequisite for MN 118 (Anapanasati Sutta). Best wishes. DD :)
Got it. Thank you bro.
Zolbec

Post by Zolbec »

Hello guys.

I am interested in reading a book by Bhikkhu Bodhi (In The Buddha's Words). As you know, it's not a beginner's book. It's an intermediate book. So which books do you recommend to me before this book?

(P.S. I have already read two books of Bhante G. Mindfulness in Plain English and Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Zolbec,
Zolbec wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:52 am I am interested in reading a book by Bhikkhu Bodhi (In The Buddha's Words). As you know, it's not a beginner's book. It's an intermediate book. So which books do you recommend to me before this book?
I wouldn't let that deter you. If you're going to develop Right View, you're going to need to do it via the Buddha's teachings, and this text seems like as good an entry point into the suttas as any.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Zolbec wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:52 am ...I am interested in reading a book by Bhikkhu Bodhi (In The Buddha's Words). As you know, it's not a beginner's book. It's an intermediate book. So which books do you recommend to me before this book?
Well, you might try this one:
https://www.dhammatalks.org/books/Buddh ... n0001.html
It's only about 40 pges and is available online; you could also request a paper copy.

This next one is in the same series as In the Buddha's Words, but is told as stories of individuals and so is less abstarct -- you might like it.
https://wisdompubs.org/book/great-disciples-buddha
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
zan

Post by zan »

I highly recommend Samyutta Nikaya number 45.8, the Magga Vibhanga Sutta. It is where the Buddha explains each step on the Eightfold Path and is very short. I memorized it and it has served as a wonderful reference. Of course there is a lot more to learn! But it is a really good foundational starting point.
Assume all of my words on dhamma could be incorrect. Seek an arahant for truth.

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
Zolbec

Post by Zolbec »

Is the new book of Anālayo (Satipatthana Meditation: A Practice Guide) recommended for beginners?
allium

Post by allium »

Zolbec wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:21 pm Is the new book of Anālayo (Satipatthana Meditation: A Practice Guide) recommended for beginners?
You might want to listen to an interview with the author.
47:05 - 49:50 : Ven. Bhikkhu Anālayo and Daniel Aitken talk about teaching beginners.
https://learn.wisdompubs.org/podcast/bhikkhu-analayo-2/
Dan74-MkII

Post by Dan74-MkII »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:21 pmKeep the five precepts & guard your behavior (including your mind), developing mindfulness at all times.

• "Know thyself", know the mind as often as possible. Know when there is greed/aversion/delusion in the mind.

Reflect on your actions before, while, and after doing them, per Ambalaṭṭhikarāhulovāda Sutta (MN 61).

‘Think not lightly of evil, saying, "It will not come to me." Drop by drop is the water pot filled. Likewise, the fool, gathering it little by little, fills himself with evil.’
‘Think not lightly of good, saying, "It will not come to me." Drop by drop is the water pot filled. Likewise, the wise man, gathering it little by little, fills himself with good.’

‘To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.’

- ‘I must be parted and separated from everyone and everything dear and agreeable to me.’
- ‘I am the owner of my kamma [i.e. actions], the heir of my kamma; I have kamma as my origin, kamma as my relative, kamma as my resort; I will be the heir of whatever kamma, good or bad, that I do.’

- ‘[Life in] any world has nothing of its own; one has to leave all and pass on.’

The "eight worldly winds": gain and loss, disrepute and fame, blame and praise, and pleasure and pain. (see AN 8.6).
I find it's a good way to categorize something if you get caught up in it, and makes it easier to let go of.

Make Buddha/Dhamma/Sangha your refuge, i.e. the safe haven you go to whenever you are in difficulty, the solution to all your problems. Whenever a problem arises, recollecting these can establish mindfulness & good behavior, re-establishes right view, and appeases the mind.

• Similarly, but with remembering/reminding yourself that everything is impermanent, unsatisfactory, and not you/yours.

‘When a bhikkhu has heard, ‘Nothing is worth adhering to,’ he directly knows everything. Having directly known everything, he fully understands everything. Having fully understood everything, he sees all signs differently.’

‘You should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then there is no you in connection with that. When there is no you in connection with that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress.’

• Here's a sutta on the monastics' gradual training, which I think is a good inspiration: Gaṇakamoggallāna Sutta (MN 107).

• I think it's important to read the suttas to gain proper understanding and to develop faith and also to put things in context and know which teachings are emphasized more frequently.

Wonderful summary, Nicholas! (though the OP seems to have ignored it). I am saving it as an excellent handy reference. :anjali:
Zolbec

Post by Zolbec »

Hey, guys. I'm going to start studying the suttas. A good book is In The Buddha's Words by Bhikkhu Bodhi, but it is not recommended for beginners. Do you think Glenn Wallis's book (Basic Teachings of the Buddha) is a good book to read before Bhikkhu Bodhi's book?
bodom

Post by bodom »

Zolbec wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:53 pm Hey, guys. I'm going to start studying the suttas. A good book is In The Buddha's Words by Bhikkhu Bodhi, but it is not recommended for beginners. Do you think Glenn Wallis's book (Basic Teachings of the Buddha) is a good book to read before Bhikkhu Bodhi's book?
Hi Zolbec

I'm not sure where you have heard that Bodhi's ITBW is not for beginners but I would absolutely say that it is and that it's the best Intro to the suttas you will find. It is always the first book I recommend.

You can read it here on the site to get an idea of what it contains:

viewtopic.php?t=14640

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

Dan74-MkII wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:59 pm
Nicolas wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:21 pmKeep the five precepts & guard your behavior (including your mind), developing mindfulness at all times.

Wonderful summary, Nicholas! (though the OP seems to have ignored it). I am saving it as an excellent handy reference. :anjali:
Me too! Thank you Nicolas.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

I share a book with you:

https://www.dhammahome.com/book_en/topic/12

Kevin :namaste:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

There are some beginner meditation materials available here:

http://aimwell.org/retreats.html