Anapanasati Sutra

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Zolbec

Anapanasati Sutra

Post by Zolbec »

What is the best book about Anapanasati Sutra for beginners in Buddhism?
JohnK

Re: Anapanasati Sutra

Post by JohnK »

I can't necessarily say "best," but one is Mindfulness With Breathing: A Manual for Beginners by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu.
Another that I have not read in a while is Breath By Breath by Larry Rosenberg -- I remember liking it at the time.
I am interested to hear of others.
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
bodom

Post by bodom »

With Each and Every Breath

A breath meditation manual by Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu drawing on two sources: the Buddha’s own set of instructions on how to use the breath in training the mind, and Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo’s method of breath meditation — which builds on the Buddha’s instructions, explaining in detail many of the points that the Buddha left in condensed form.

https://www.dhammatalks.org/books/WithE ... tents.html
:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

bodom wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:50 pm
:anjali:
I was thinking of this one, too-- especially as I just finished reading it -- but as it doesn't explicitly refer to and address the steps in the sutta, I thought it might not be what the OP is looking for.
However, if the OP is looking more generally for a manual on breath meditation, this one is certainly in the running!
So, while we are on the subject, I'll add a link to Thanissaro's quided meditations (including breath meditations) in case it is helpful:
https://www.dhammatalks.org/mp3_guidedMed_index.html
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
budo

Post by budo »

For beginners:

Mindfulness in Plain English by Gunaratana

For intermediate:

Leigh Brasington's the Jhanas

The Buddhadasa book linked by others is also a good aid and has some ideas in there that are interesting (like the breath being a mind and body conditioner).
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Actually you don't need an entire book. It's the practice that counts.
We use breath as our focus. It serves as that vital reference point from which the mind wanders and is drawn back. Distraction cannot be seen as distraction unless there is some central focus to be distracted from. That is the frame of reference against which we can view the incessant changes and interruptions that go on all the time as a part of normal thinking.

The next question we need to address is: Why choose breathing as the primary object of meditation? Why not something a bit more interesting? Answers to this are numerous. A useful object of meditation should be one that promotes mindfulness. It should be portable, easily available, and cheap. It should also be something that will not embroil us in those states of mind from which we are trying to free ourselves, such as greed, anger and delusion.

Breathing is something common to every human being. We all carry it with us wherever we go. It is always there, constantly available, never ceasing from birth till death, and it costs nothing.
Breathing satisfies all these criteria and more. Breathing is something common to every human being. We all carry it with us wherever we go. It is always there, constantly available, never ceasing from birth till death, and it costs nothing.

Breathing is a nonconceptual process, a thing that can be experienced directly without a need for thought. Furthermore, it is a very living process, an aspect of life that is in constant change. The breath moves in cycles—inhalation, exhalation, breathing in, and breathing out. Thus, it is a miniature model of life itself.

https://www.lionsroar.com/why-meditate/
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
paul

Post by paul »

There are no books for beginners specifically examining the Anapanasati sutta, because it requires a higher level of understanding. A beginner practitioner has to study the sutta themselves, relating it to the Satipatthana sutta, researching the resources available. The only book that really examines the Anapanasati sutta is "Right Mindfulness" by Thanissaro, which if you have a strong motivation you may be able to handle. A book on the Anapanasati sutta by Analayo is due out in August, and its writing will be more intelligible to beginners.
ehensens

Post by ehensens »

I second the recommendation for Larry Rosenberg's Breath by Breath. I found the author's style congenial, encouraging, and friendly - intimate, rather than distant and overly scholastic. This attitude was very helpful to a beginner such as myself; it felt like I was being guided by an old friend.
paul wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:32 am There are no books for beginners specifically examining the Anapanasati sutta, because it requires a higher level of understanding.
I myself am by no means a "seasoned" practitioner, but I still found this book's discussion of the sutta to be very helpful. At the very least, it helps to understand the direction that the practice is heading.

:heart:
paul

Post by paul »

This video can be watched while reading the Anapanasati sutta, as it goes through the four tetrads one by one. Overall it should noted in the video that mindfulness of breathing is a meditation on the body, one of six from the first foundation of mindfulness of the Satipatthana sutta:

JohnK

Post by JohnK »

paul wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:24 am ...

Thanks, paul.
Very nice to hear Thanissaro Bhikkhu talk through the 16 steps of the Anapanasati Sutta (and in just under 30 minutes).
Volo

Post by Volo »

I've never read books of Larry Rosenberg, but decided recently to listen to his dhamma talks (in particular this course https://dharmaseed.org/teacher/106/talk/33890/). I liked them. He practices ānāpānasati for many years as a main practice and has a lot of experience. Ajahn Buddhadasa was one of his teachers. I also like that he doesn't have an arrogant attitude, and doesn't makes statements like: "Some teachers teach like this, but this is wrong. What Buddha actually meant is this". His approach is open and practical. I've learned some useful things. I do recommend.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Analayo has a book on Anapanasati practise out in 6 months time. May be worth checking out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-Br ... ds=analayo
“Householder, you have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick, but you shouldn’t rest content with the thought, ‘We have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick.’ So you should train yourself, ‘Let’s periodically enter & remain in seclusion & rapture.’ That’s how you should train yourself.”
AN 5.176- Rapture
budo

Post by budo »

DarrenM wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:05 pm Analayo has a book on Anapanasati practise out in 6 months time. May be worth checking out.

Thank you for posting the link, I've been waiting for this book to come out for over a year now.
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

DarrenM wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:05 pm Analayo has a book on Anapanasati practise out in 6 months time. May be worth checking out.

Will give the man credit - he is really into writing.