Māna (Measuring) and Nivāta (Humility)

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
canadianbuddhist

Māna (Measuring) and Nivāta (Humility)

Post by canadianbuddhist »

Could anyone tell me a general idea of Māna (Measuring) and Nivāta (Humility) in Buddhism? What best sources do we have for this topic? Also I would like to know what are the 9 mānas. I also feel that conceit might not be the proper word for māna as it only deals with seyyamāna. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks!
SarathW

Re: Māna (Measuring) and Nivāta (Humility)

Post by SarathW »

māna: 'conceit', pride, is one of the 10 fetters binding to existence (s. saṃyojana). It vanishes completely only at the entrance to Arahatship, or Holiness (cf. asmi-māna). It is further one of the proclivities (s. anusaya) and defilements (s. kilesa). "

The (equality-) conceit (māna), the inferiority-conceit (omāna) and the superiority-conceit (atimāna): this threefold conceit should be overcome. For, after overcoming this threefold conceit, the monk, through the full penetration of conceit, is said to have put an end suffering" (A. VI, 49).

"Those ascetics and Brahman priests who, relying on this impermanent, miserable and transitory nature of corporeality, feelings, perceptions, mental formations and consciousness, fancy: 'Better am I', or 'Equal am I', or 'Worse am I', all these imagine thus through not understanding reality" (S. XXII, 49).

In reality no ego-entity is to be found. Cf. anattā.

https://www.budsas.org/ebud/bud-dict/dic3_m.htm
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
paul

Re: Māna (Measuring) and Nivāta (Humility)

Post by paul »

Conceit (mana) is one of the five higher fetters and binds to the fine-material and immaterial worlds, and as AN 6.49 states, deals with the conceit regarding superiority or inferiority of the level of higher practice. The five lower fetters bind to the sensuous world are are of more relevance and concern for those aspiring to stream-entry.