Could someone point me to some good talks for introduction to the vipassana method?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
unentangledknowing

Could someone point me to some good talks for introduction to the vipassana method?

Post by unentangledknowing »

I've so far mainly practiced concentration methods (I think) - Thanissaro Bhikkhu, Ayya Khema, etc. Thanks!
paul

Re: Could someone point me to some good talks for introduction to the vipassana method?

Post by paul »

Chapter 8 "Wisdom", in Bikkhu Bodhi's book "The Noble Eightfold Path".
WindDancer

Re: Could someone point me to some good talks for introduction to the vipassana method?

Post by WindDancer »

Thanks for the question. I had a similar experience. I have maintained a Zen practice since the 1970's which included concentration meditation. I was introduced to Jon Kabit-Zinn's work on mindfulness pain and stress reduction about 6 years ago when I was looking for help with chronic illness and pain. The sites audiodharma.org and dharmaseed.org were suggested to me as a way to get started in mindfulness or vipassana meditation. I highly recommend both sites; however, I found audiodharma.org to offer the best introduction to vipassana meditation and Theravada Buddhism for someone living in the West. I particularly like the list of series of talks on the left side of the screen. The list includes a basic introduction to vipassana meditation and a whole array of topics that helped me get a good grounding in Theravada Buddhism. Both sites offer a wide variety of teachers. Here are a few teachers that I found most helpful: Gil Fronsdal has helped me develop a basic practice, Andrea Fella has helped me grow in daily life practice, and I have grown in to deeper practice by listening to Ajahn Thanissaro, Ajahn Cha, Ajahn Amaro, Ajahn Sundara and Ajahn Sumedho. Most recently I have been listening to Jack Kornfield.

I have grown, and over the last couple of years I have been drawn to the Thai Forest Monasteries such as Amaravati.org.

Good luck with walking the Path.

I wish you the best,

WindDancer

https://www.audiodharma.org/

https://www.dharmaseed.org/talks/

https://www.amaravati.org/category/teachings/
Live Gently....
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This is one of a whole serious of talks on the Vipassanā method.

BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
hermitwin

Post by hermitwin »

Check out "mindfulness in plain English "
By bhante gunaratana.