later editions pali cannon?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
diamind

later editions pali cannon?

Post by diamind »

Whats this business of the later sutta editions in pali cannon? How are they distinguished from the "original editions" and since some people have such a problem dealing with there authenticity why do we still see them in the cannon? Cant we just remove them and problem solved. Any books or teachings on this topic? cheers
DooDoot

Re: later editions pali cannon?

Post by DooDoot »

My impression is this business of the "later sutta editions" is merely a popular topic amongst a small group of Buddhists; particularly those who use the internet. It appears somewhat subjective and sectarian in its pursuit. One of the first high profile hypothesis was The Mahācattārīsaka-sutta in the Light of its Parallels — Tracing the Beginnings of Abhidharmic Thought, which proved nothing, apart from the possibility of a few words being added; given the Mahācattārīsaka-Sutta is a highly coherent & "pithy" sutta. The hypothesis was exceptionally weak given the "Parallels" it relied on do not accord with the Dhamma. Even one of the adherents to "later sutta editions" acknowledged the Pali Mahācattārīsaka-Sutta is correct in terms of Dhamma and the Parallels are not. My personal view is if certain suttas are singled out as "later sutta editions" then many suttas will be criticised. In my view there are suttas that contradict other core suttas and the "latter sutta edition" adherents would not acknowledge many of the contradictory suttas are later additions (because this would be against their sectarian doctrinal agendas. Unfortunately, the original ""later sutta editions" adherents appearred "agenda driven" and their poor scholarship on The Mahācattārīsaka-sutta in the Light of its Parallels — Tracing the Beginnings of Abhidharmic Thought did not exactly bring an compelling academic credibility. In conclusion, I think, as with every religion, I must be taken for granted that suttas were added to the Nikayas; even suttas that sound authentic.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
diamind

Post by diamind »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:47 am My impression is this business of the "later sutta editions" is merely a popular topic amongst a small group of Buddhists; particularly those who use the internet. It appears somewhat subjective and sectarian in its pursuit. One of the first high profile hypothesis was The Mahācattārīsaka-sutta in the Light of its Parallels — Tracing the Beginnings of Abhidharmic Thought, which proved nothing, apart from the possibility of a few words being added; given the Mahācattārīsaka-Sutta is a highly coherent & "pithy" sutta. The hypothesis was exceptionally weak given the "Parallels" it relied on do not accord with the Dhamma. Even one of the adherents to "later sutta editions" acknowledged the Pali Mahācattārīsaka-Sutta is correct in terms of Dhamma and the Parallels are not. My personal view is if certain suttas are singled out as "later sutta editions" then many suttas will be criticised. In my view there are suttas that contradict other core suttas and the "latter sutta edition" adherents would not acknowledge many of the contradictory suttas are later additions (because this would be against their sectarian doctrinal agendas. Unfortunately, the original ""later sutta editions" adherents appearred "agenda driven" and their poor scholarship on The Mahācattārīsaka-sutta in the Light of its Parallels — Tracing the Beginnings of Abhidharmic Thought did not exactly bring an compelling academic credibility. In conclusion, I think, as with every religion, I must be taken for granted that suttas were added to the Nikayas; even suttas that sound authentic.

Thanks. Whats your feeling about the Jakata tales, and the Khuddakanikiya in general, I get the feeling people like to throw shade on them? Or am I crazy?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

diamind wrote:Whats this business of the later sutta editions in pali cannon? How are they distinguished from the "original editions" and since some people have such a problem dealing with there authenticity why do we still see them in the cannon? Cant we just remove them and problem solved. Any books or teachings on this topic? cheers
The Buddha wasn't really that hardcore when it comes to what's original and what's not. However, there're certain criteria one'd need to closely examine whenever reading a certain text. And even in case some suttas that might look like a later edition and yet satisfying the specified conditions, then there's no harm in studying them and no gain in removing them.
AN 8.53 wrote:As for the qualities of which you may know, 'These qualities lead to dispassion, not to passion; to being unfettered, not to being fettered; to shedding, not to accumulating; to modesty, not to self-aggrandizement; to contentment, not to discontent; to seclusion, not to entanglement; to aroused persistence, not to laziness; to being unburdensome, not to being burdensome': You may categorically hold, 'This is the Dhamma, this is the Vinaya, this is the Teacher's instruction.'