Finding time in my hectic life!

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Demarous

Finding time in my hectic life!

Post by Demarous »

Hi all, been very busy recently and not had much time to get on the computer much!

I'm finding it very difficult to relax recently, i get agitated that i don't get time to meditate very often and get to my local monastery.

Is there any way or suggestions that i can motivate myself more as i know how important it is for me to focus and try and find some peace.

Metta,

Demarous.
"Happy, at rest, may all beings be happy at heart. Whatever beings there may be, weak or strong, without exception, long, large, middling, short, subtle, blatant, seen & unseen, near & far, born & seeking birth: May all beings be happy at heart."
bodom

Re: Finding time in my hectic life!

Post by bodom »

Having a six month old i can sympathise with you on lack of time for practice. I have always turned to these words from Ajahn Chah to keep me motivated.

If you have time to be mindful, you have time to meditate. - Ajahn Chah

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Demarous wrote:I'm finding it very difficult to relax recently, i get agitated that i don't get time to meditate very often
Hi,
another Ajahn Chah quote:
Don't think that only sitting with the eyes closed is practice. If you do think this way, then quickly change your thinking. Steady practice is being mindfull in every posture, whether sitting, walking, standing or lying down. When coming out of sitting, don't think that you're coming out of meditation, but that you are only changing postures. If you reflect in this way, you will have peace. Wherever you are, you will have this attitude of practice with you constantly. You will have a steady awareness within yourself.
best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Pay more attention to the daily chores that you cannot avoid doing, especially the ones that you hate. Washing, shaving, dressing, bathing, cooking, cleaning, eating, going and coming, etc. Pay special attention to actions and movements, and sensations of touch.

If you slow down just a little, you will be more efficient, getting things done in less time, and with fewer errors.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Demarous

Post by Demarous »

You're so right, its so easy to get caught up and taken away by the stresses and strains of everyday life, it really is back to basics, taking in the things that we take for granted. I shall try and be more observant! :thinking:

Thank you so much for your opinions. :bow:

Metta,

Demarous.
"Happy, at rest, may all beings be happy at heart. Whatever beings there may be, weak or strong, without exception, long, large, middling, short, subtle, blatant, seen & unseen, near & far, born & seeking birth: May all beings be happy at heart."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Demarous
Try getting out of bed an hour earlier and devoting that time to meditation.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
zavk

Post by zavk »

Hi Demarous

I sometimes find it helpful to perform acts of service for others. It need not be big acts but small things like giving someone a lift, helping out with an errand or something like that. These little gestures would help create the conditions for clarity of mind.
With metta,
zavk
Demarous

Post by Demarous »

i will try and do this, the early meditation and helping others.
:bow:

Metta.

Demarous.
withoutcolour

Post by withoutcolour »

Just try doing the dishes a littler slower next time around... pay attention and you're already there. :)

I, too, have trouble finding time to actually sit down and meditate, so I try to just be mindful.
And, although this is a Theravada forum, I will mention this: I do a lot of volunteering (mindful volunteering) with rehabilitating animals, so that is a sort of Engaged Buddhism (see Thich Nhat Hanh). So you're paying attention, developing loving-kindness, and watering good kammic seeds.

Best of luck. :anjali:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu