Some Questions

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Nothing

Some Questions

Post by Nothing »

When I meditate, eyes open, after a short while, it's like my vision goes dark. Happens every time. It's not pitch dark, but it is dark to the point I can't really see anything.

Is this normal, any idea what it is?

Thanks all.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Some Questions

Post by Sam Vara »

Yes, it's normal, or at least nothing to worry about. My guess is that it happens because you are no longer focusing on anything in your visual field, so it just gives up. In terms of the suttas, e.g. MN18, your eye remains, the visual forms remain, but the eye-consciousness is in temporary abeyance.
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

agreed with sam,
with eye and forms there arises eye consciousness. the concurrence of these three is contact. craving stitches together eye and forms ignoring eye consciousness. same with the other senses. https://www.wisdompubs.org/landing/madhupindika-sutta
seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/The-Miracle-of-Contact_Rev-0_6.pdf
craving stitches together contact and the arising of contact ignoring the cessation of contact
http://obo.genaud.net/dhamma-vinaya/pts ... re.pts.htm
keep it up!
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

The same question can arise with ear consciouness during meditation. While listening to a subject of meditation ( say rustling of the wind against leaves of a tree) one may loose the subjective sound. It is similar to the darkness in visual consciouness.
BasementBuddhist

Post by BasementBuddhist »

you're fine, enjoy your meditation and try not to nitpick it so much. Just keep with it and see where things take you. :namaste:
Nothing

Post by Nothing »

Thank you all for the advice

Much appreciated
Nothing

Post by Nothing »

What is the Akashic field, is it real?

I'm watching a programme that talks about the Akashic field, and how it's a repository of information that surrounds us and we can access it via meditation. Apparently, it exists and it's being scientifically researched.

Anyone know anything about this?
paul

Post by paul »

akasa: space

Limited space belongs to derived corporality (the space between objects) and it is an object of kasina meditation.
Endless space is the object of the first immaterial absorption, the sphere of boundless space.
Theravada recognizes only Nibbana as an unconditioned element.—-adapted from "Buddhist Dictionary", Nyanatiloka.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Nothing wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:29 pm What is the Akashic field, is it real?

I'm watching a programme that talks about the Akashic field, and how it's a repository of information that surrounds us and we can access it via meditation. Apparently, it exists and it's being scientifically researched.

Anyone know anything about this?
A word of warning - "Akashic" pops up in Theosophical and New Age circles, usually as "Akashic Records", e.g. https://blavatskytheosophy.com/akasha-a ... c-records/ and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akashic_records. Some of these people and sites are quite :alien: (although mostly harmless) and have nothing to do with Buddhism.

:coffee:
Kim
Nothing

Post by Nothing »

Ok thanks all for the information.

I've two more questions I was hoping someone might reply to.

1. Is it best to meditate eyes open or closed? I go with eyes open but was wondering.

2. How would you sum up the reason for why we practice meditation? What are the benefits both naturally (relaxation, focus, etc) and (for want of a better word) supernaturally (ascendency, nirvana, etc, probably incorrect terms but I hope they serve as an example of what I'm asking about)?

I used to have Mindfulness in Plain English and other books but it's been so long since I read them. I find I've taken up meditating again and realised - I've forgotten why I'm doing this. I'd like to be reminded so I'm not just sitting there.

Thank you all
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Nothing wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:22 pm Ok thanks all for the information.

I've two more questions I was hoping someone might reply to.

1. Is it best to meditate eyes open or closed? I go with eyes open but was wondering.

2. How would you sum up the reason for why we practice meditation? What are the benefits both naturally (relaxation, focus, etc) and (for want of a better word) supernaturally (ascendency, nirvana, etc, probably incorrect terms but I hope they serve as an example of what I'm asking about)?

I used to have Mindfulness in Plain English and other books but it's been so long since I read them. I find I've taken up meditating again and realised - I've forgotten why I'm doing this. I'd like to be reminded so I'm not just sitting there.

Thank you all
1) Do whatever gives best results, or, if you have a teacher, whatever they recommend. I normally have eyes closed, but find that opening the eyes is beneficial if I am drowsy.

2) That's a big question, and the answer depends on who you ask! Very broadly, meditation is done either in order to make the mind calm and tranquil; or in order to gain insight into our condition. Both are useful or necessary for us to be able to end suffering. Most people say that some degree of calm is necessary to undertake insight meditation. Some people use different types of meditation practice for these two different aims. Have a look at this dhamma talk on meditation
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/au ... etool.html

which some find controversial, but it gives a good sense of how the different terms are used. And try searching on the web or looking at introductory guides.

All this, though, is just words and labels; thinking about meditation. My guess is that if you have re-established a meditation practice, part of you already knows why you are doing it, without the need for a theoretical framework!
bodom

Post by bodom »

If you don't have access to a good qualified teacher I recommend reading Thanissaro Bhikkhu's excellent meditation manual which will Answer all of your questions:

With Each and Every Breath
https://www.dhammatalks.org/ebook_index.html

It can be read, downloaded and even a free copy request and sent to you at no charge at the link above.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Nothing

Post by Nothing »

Thank you all for the information
Nothing

Post by Nothing »

I've been meditating for 107 consecutive days and I'm now up to 30 mins in the morning. This morning I did something different. I didn't focus on the breath I just sat there and noted anything that arose. Sound, emotions, feelings, thoughts, etc. I just sat there being aware of anything and everything - not judging any experience. I was mentally noting anything I experienced - but didn't go back to the breath, I went back to just being. Not sure if that makes sense.

Is this good practice or not? For my part, the meditation seemed better somehow. More focused even though I wasn't focusing on any one thing.

Thanks all.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Nothing wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:06 am
Is this good practice or not? For my part, the meditation seemed better somehow. More focused even though I wasn't focusing on any one thing.
If it gave good results, then I guess it is good practice. The next task is to see if it is consistently good enough to adopt long-term. I have sometimes found that changing to a new technique can make the mind happier and clearer just because I like trying something new with all the promise that involves. I think sustainability is the key here. Only you can judge that.