Can we become Buddhas?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
bodom

Re: Can we become Buddhas?

Post by bodom »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:30 am Why did you delete a post from me on this topic?

:anjali:
Hi Lucas

If your post was removed it was because it did not meet the guidelines of the Discovering Theravada forum:
Guidelines for the Discovering Theravada forum

The purpose of the Discovering Theravada forum is to enable beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to learn more about the Theravada Buddhist tradition.

To support this purpose, responses made by members need to be manually approved by a moderator or administrator before being made visible.

When responding to questions in this section, please do your best to appropriately and accurately represent the Theravada tradition, keeping your posts free of:

- Personal opinion
- The perspectives of other religions or Buddhist traditions
- Derision of alternative views
- Irrelevancies and idle chatter

When it comes to questions seeking clarification on contentious issues we are looking for responses that are balanced and present alternative points of view objectively.

Moderators aim to assess posts within a maximum of 12 hours. If your post is not approved (in part or in whole) we will endeavour to explain why via PM.

Thank you for your assistance.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Please members me mindful of which subsections you are replying in and the contents of your post.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

bodom wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:02 am
Thanks for the response and attention!

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

jasday wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:14 pm There seems to be a lot of different terminology respective to 'enlightened ones': tathagata, buddha, bodhisattva, arahant, etc.

What is the difference amongst these different definitions that make them different. Of course a bodhisattva is someone is going to be a buddha in a future life but would that mean I would be a bodhisattva as well? I know a arahant is someone who is enlightened and became enlightened through the help of a buddha. Does this mean if we became arahants that we could, many aeons from now, be reborn as a perfectly enlightened buddha, to teach devas and humans alike?

Or is a arahant someone who becomes enlightened purely for the objective of purifying oneself and passing to nirvana only to teach a smaller audience?

Are they the same thing or are they different. And if they are different, which one would we become?

:thanks:
Listen to Bhante Vimalaramsi... Before you take the Bodhisattva Vow: Consider this!

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Amanaki

Post by Amanaki »

If you reach enlightenment you can become a buddha :) But because of how we live today and much of the texts has been translated incorrect and we tend to not be strickt enough in the practice it is very difficult to reach Buddhahood today.
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Amanaki wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:01 pm If you reach enlightenment you can become a buddha :) But because of how we live today and much of the texts has been translated incorrect and we tend to not be strickt enough in the practice it is very difficult to reach Buddhahood today.
I think Theravadins prefer to use the term "Arahant".
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Amanaki

Post by Amanaki »

Sakyamuni did say er can not reach Buddha level og tatagatha level too. Did he?
Komuso

Post by Komuso »

I always thought that a Buddha was a trailblazer. One who attained unsurpassed enlightenment on there own. Then they shared what they discovered so others could actualize enlightenment also.

I then understood an arahat to be one who attained unsurpassed enlightenment through the guidance of a Buddha.

Is my understanding close to the Theravada view or way off base?
:sage: Komuso
:buddha1: Namo Amitabha Buddhaya
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Hi

Why do we need to become Buddhas, if dhammas are anatta?

Thomas