Spread of Dhamma in Buddha's lifetime

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
jasday

Spread of Dhamma in Buddha's lifetime

Post by jasday »

I have a question and it's a hard one to explain, but it's been in my mind and I'd like to hear some answers that explain things well. I know it's the least important aspect of Buddhism but it is regarding his powers. I am currently reading 'In the Buddha's words' by Bikkhu Bodhi and although he didn't go over it, he goes over how the buddha used his minds eye to see anything in the universe as well as having other abilities. These powers are what triggered this question:

The Buddha taught to beings all over the universe in multitudes, had traveled to other places in the universe(i believe that's correct), but I wonder why he didn't teach to other peoples in our own earth, where he lived. If he could teleport. How come he didn't teach to Native Americans, Africans, Europeans, etc.

If someone could explain this, it would be of great help!

Thanks!

May you all be well, happy, and peaceful!
Zom

Re: Spread of Dhamma in Buddha's lifetime

Post by Zom »

How come he didn't teach to Native Americans, Africans, Europeans, etc.

If someone could explain this, it would be of great help!
He didn't even teach the majority of those who lived in India. Answer is here: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
paul

Post by paul »

There are six ‘supernormal powers’, five of which are mundane. The Buddha used these only to demonstrate the progress of concentration as an assistance to developing the one supra mundane power, penetrating insight (vipassana) i.e. the extinction of all cankers, in other words, the realisation of arahatship or holiness. They are however, not a necessary condition for the attainment of sainthood (arahatta), i.e. of the sixth power.—- adapted from “Buddhist Dictionary”, Nyanatiloka.
jasday

Post by jasday »

I'm just starting to learn here. I understand that he didn't teach to too many people physically, face to face, or make any sort of contact, if you will.

I am still learning a lot and have much more to learn about what was said in the scriptures, but I was under the impression that he could teleport or telepathically communicate to anyone, no matter the distance. Although it's not too important and doesn't lead to Nibanna, it's just something that's itching at me. anyone mind giving more details as to what the explanation is for this.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

jasday wrote:... but I was under the impression that he could teleport or telepathically communicate to anyone, no matter the distance. Although it's not too important and doesn't lead to Nibanna, it's just something that's itching at me. anyone mind giving more details as to what the explanation is for this.
Usually it's the other way around, the devas came to see the Buddha to receive His teaching. On other occassions, He'd go to their realms to teach. See the suttas here for more info..
Zom

Post by Zom »

I am still learning a lot and have much more to learn about what was said in the scriptures, but I was under the impression that he could teleport or telepathically communicate to anyone, no matter the distance.
No, he used supernormal powers on very rare occasions. First of all, as he says, he did not want to show off with these powers, because even non-buddhists can display them (even if they are fake powers, like just tricks). Second, it seems like it takes a certain ammount of, I don't know, inner resources to do that. So if you can walk, you will just walk. Third, you can't communicate with telepathy with someone who himself has no such abilities. Buddha had mind reading ability, but he could not become a "voice in your head".

Of course, if you read later buddhist texts, commentarial stories and so on - you'll get an impression that Buddha is a kind of superman, flying here and there and displaying powers here and there. But this is natural for any religion - to deify its founder or famous persons (after their death and preferably after death of those who knew them personally ,)
new

Post by new »

Just guessing here. Maybe because persons with "least dust in their eyes" happened all to live in India where Buddha was also born (i.e. due to their past kamma: right place and right time). Also, if I'm not mistaken there is a sutta where lands outside of India are described as barbaric.
jasday

Post by jasday »

Thanks for the answers everybody.
Amanaki

Post by Amanaki »

Dhamma was spread the oral way by resiteing and memorizing the true words of sakyanuni. The monks at that time was a lot better in memory then we are today.