Confused how buddhism affects me.

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
a_human_being

Confused how buddhism affects me.

Post by a_human_being »

Edit: Sorry I regret posting this. Thanks for the replies that were given though.
Last edited by a_human_being on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cappuccino

Re: Confused how buddhism affects me.

Post by cappuccino »

Now this, bhikkhus, is the noble truth of suffering: birth is suffering, aging is suffering, illness is suffering, death is suffering; union with what is displeasing is suffering; separation from what is pleasing is suffering; not to get what one wants is suffering; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are suffering.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Noble_Truths
cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

Try to minimize as much as you can, and learn & practice all parts of the Eightfold Path equally (and not just meditation)?
robertk

Post by robertk »

The Dhamma, when properly understood will absolutely improve daily life : calmer , deeper understanding and all the joy that goes with that.
However, as you well articulated, many newcomers and even older hands get caught up in an idealistic chase, hoping to dampen natural wants and so on.

The thing is, is that the first step is attentuating wrong views, especially the idea of self and soul- and if that can be done then life will be pretty rosy from then on.

Much , much later comes the reduction of sense desires..