Theravadin Resource guide

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
retrofuturist

Re: Theravadin Resource guide

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Blackbird,

Thanks... and I've since updated Google Saffron based on this list now.

And if you want to list Google Saffron... http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00545 ... cbjbznmwso" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Hi Retro, sure thing. I am wondering if we could sort out a domain name host for Google Saffron? I would be more than happy to contribute to any costs involved, or alternatively, there are free domains such as .co.nr

metta
Jack :heart:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

For those who own an iPhone/iPod Touch. Someone has made the offline version of Access to Insight website available at the iTunes store.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/access-t ... 25338?mt=8

Note: the link opens iTunes.
adept

Post by adept »

Glenn wrote:For those who own an iPhone/iPod Touch. Someone has made the offline version of Access to Insight website available at the iTunes store.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/access-t ... 25338?mt=8

Note: the link opens iTunes.
This is a brilliant app. No need to lump books around with me when I'm at work or travelling.
:twothumbsup:
ando

Post by ando »

Hi all,

This is great stuff.

Could anyone recommend me a Theravadan mailing list that I can subscribe to that would "push" a daily snippet of a Buddhism teaching or quote to an e-mail address.

I spend a lot of time in the field and for a change, it would be nice to receive something useful on my blackberry every day instead of the spam I've been getting. Getting dhamma sayings on my phone would also be a great way to keep me reminded when I am on the move.

Thanks!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ando,

I think you can get Bhikkhu Samahita's Daily Drops of Dhamma sent as a daily e-mail.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Thank you Glenn... :thumbsup:

There's also an iPhone app with the 2010 Uposatha calendar...all in a single window...handy...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... a2010.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ando

Post by ando »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Ando,

I think you can get Bhikkhu Samahita's Daily Drops of Dhamma sent as a daily e-mail.

Metta,
Hi Retro,

Google gave me a bunch of links on Bhikku Samahita's Daily Dhamma Dops but none of the sites seemed to offer a daily e-mail option. Most are forums like this one. Or maybe I missed it somehow. Would you happen to have URL? Thanks a bunch!
ando

Post by ando »

Hi friends,

I found the link for the Daily Dhamma E-mail at this site (I presume it is the one operated by Bhikku Samahita), except that it is not an email facility. It is an RSS feed which is updated daily. It is as good as an e-mail feed. To receive the daily dhamma drop click here to get the feed loaded to your RSS reader and set it to refresh daily.

Thanks.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

You can get a daily mail by signing up here:
http://groups.google.com/group/Buddha-Direct?hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
ando

Post by ando »

mikenz66 wrote:You can get a daily mail by signing up here:
http://groups.google.com/group/Buddha-Direct?hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
Hi Mike,

Your link contains exactly the same contents as my link. In fact both links appear side by side on this page.

We must be on the right track then. :D
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Yes, but by signing up to the Google Group it is possible to get the Dhamma Drops as emails, rather than by RSS...

Mike
ando

Post by ando »

mikenz66 wrote:Yes, but by signing up to the Google Group it is possible to get the Dhamma Drops as emails, rather than by RSS...

Mike
That's great. For some odd reason my Android phone doesn't seem to recognize Bhikkhu Samahita's RSS feed so you've given me a good reason to sign up. Thanks!
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Will update this today. Figured it's been long enough.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Well, a few days down the track and there's finally an update. I added a list of important Dhamma Wheel discussions. I've got a few more resources pegged in my mind to add here and will endevour to get that done today too, but given my track record I wouldn't count on it.

As I am leaving in 4 days, I will be unable to put much time into this, so I wonder if it is possible for our moderation team to edit the original post with new resources as they become available?

metta
Jack