The paccekabuddha A buddhist ascetic

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
mario92

The paccekabuddha A buddhist ascetic

Post by mario92 »

Hi dhammawheel i was watching a youtube radiotalk of yuttadhammo bhikkhu about paccekabuddha, and i desired to make some investigation in the web and i found this book http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh305.pdf This book is a little bit strikening, specially because its contents of the paccekabuddha behaviour seems like very resolute and ardent to gain paccekabodhihood in the time of nowhere where there is no buddha-dhamma and one is only left by oneself, if you continue to read you would find that even kings without a teacher can gain paccekabuddhahood, that is like a natural selfdependent realization, seems very great, even sotappattihood in some instances. Every time i learn something new i never ever imagined inside buddhist teachings that i wouldnt knew otherwise.
CedarTree

Re: The paccekabuddha A buddhist ascetic

Post by CedarTree »

Hi Mario your writing is a bit unclear but this is the correct understanding of a Pratyekabuddha/Paccekabuddha.

They are one of the three fully enlightened beings.

1. Sammasambuddhas (Gautama Buddha was such a Buddha) - This implies Omniscience and the ability to teach the Dhamma fully and leave behind a Sangha along with other things.

2. Pratyekabuddha/Paccekabuddha - They can not teach the Dhamma and do not have all the qualities of the above and leave no Sangha behind.

3. Arahant - One who achieves full enlightenment by following the teachings of a Sammasambuddha.

A Sotāpanna is the first of the stage of enlightenment in the Theravada/Pali framework. The above are all fully awakened beings.

Hope that helps.

If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Practice, Practice, Practice

mario92

Post by mario92 »

CedarTree wrote:Hi Mario your writing is a bit unclear but this is the correct understanding of a Pratyekabuddha/Paccekabuddha.

1. Sammasambuddhas (Gautama Buddha was such a Buddha) - This implies Omniscience and the ability to teach the Dhamma fully and leave behind a Sangha along with other things.

2. Pratyekabuddha/Paccekabuddha - They can not teach the Dhamma and do not have all the qualities of the above and leave no Sangha behind.

3. Arahant - One who achieves full enlightenment by following the teachings of a Sammasambuddha.

A Sotāpanna is the first of the stage of enlightenment in the Theravada/Pali framework. The above are all fully awakened beings.

Hope that helps.

It would be more easy to read the book before.
i think they can teach, but they cannot teach ultimate reality of realization of nibbana as 4 noble truths, noble 8fold path, etc., this book is a compilation of the commentaries, i read they would only say a word and nothing more, like "be vigilant" and that was the teaching for ordained. I think there is not too much detailed information about paccekabuddha in the buddhist texts or tipitaka.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

mario92 wrote:
CedarTree wrote:Hi Mario your writing is a bit unclear but this is the correct understanding of a Pratyekabuddha/Paccekabuddha.

Hope that helps.

It would be more easy to read the book before.
i think they can teach, but they cannot teach ultimate reality of realization of nibbana as 4 noble truths, noble 8fold path, etc., this book is a compilation of the commentaries, i read they would only say a word and nothing more, like "be vigilant" and that was the teaching for ordained. I think there is not too much detailed information about paccekabuddha in the buddhist texts or tipitaka.
In Mahayana teachings, the Pratyekabuddha/Paccekabuddha is often spoken of with some disdain, as someone who is also a bit lost about the ultimate Buddhist 'goal'. It is somewhat similar to the difference between an Arahant and a Bodhisattva from the Mahayana pov. An Arahant is not a fully enlightened being. Many Mahayanists are militantly opposed to Paccekabuddhahood and Arahantship as representatives of full awakening. I don't mean to open up this can of worms, but perhaps some discussion by senior level posters here who have a somewhat balanced take on this could comment.
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

That is because a primary goal of Mahayana Buddhism is to attain Samma Sambodhi (complete, perfect, self-enlightenment) in order to benefit the maximum number of beings out of the compassionate wish to bring them to enlightenment. Becoming an Arahant, or a PaccekaBuddha, would prevent one from becoming a SammaSamBuddha - although I think some Mahayanists think that the "hearers" (sravaka) and "solitary realizers" can go on to become fully enlightened Buddhas somehow in the future. I don't know for sure, it gets complicated.

But as far as Therevada or EBT based Buddhism is concerned, Arahant means getting the job done - it's the goal. PaccekkaBodhi requires more parami (perfection), it is more difficult and rare - and Fully enlightened Buddha is extremely rare and difficult, and when a Buddha arises in the world you and you hear the teachings you better get to work, because your chances at attaining Nibbana have never been better...
binocular

Post by binocular »

I glanced over the title of this thread and thought it said "The paccekabuddha A buddhist _eccentric_" ...
:)
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!